Clinical research or clinical experience (EMT) during gap?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myribosomesbad

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm starting to think about what I should do for my gap year, and I'm split between doing clinical research or gaining more hands-on clinical experience.
Below is some more information about myself if that helps.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
  • cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    • cGPA, sGPA are both 3.91
  • MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    • 521 (132,129,130,130)
  • State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    • NJ
  • Ethnicity and/or race
    • East Asian / ORM
  • Undergraduate institution or category
    • HYP
  • Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    • Volunteering at university hospital as patient aid at internal medicine and hem/onc (~200 hrs)
    • Volunteering at student-run local free clinic and serving as board (~250 hrs)
  • Research experience and productivity
    • Research at my university lab (2000+hrs) with a pending publication.
  • Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    • Shadowing doctors in the medical field I'm interested in—vascular surgery, CT surgery (~100 hrs)
  • Non-clinical volunteering
    • Volunteering at local soup kitchen/shelter (~150 hrs, probably can get it to 200+ by end of May when I submit primaries)
  • Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    • Paid TA for a few classes (~200 hrs)
    • Counselor for summer research program for high school students (2 summers, I guess ~700 hrs)

Members don't see this ad.

More hands-on experience is helpful. So would getting more hours with your soup kitchen (given your stats and likely desire to go for brand schools). I don't know what your mission fit is going to be though, so maybe you need to determine what schools you are going for and what is most important for you.

Reactions: 1 user