Clinical Research

Started by KCO47
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

KCO47

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone pursued an audiology PhD or masters in clinical research? What are some pros and cons?
 
I didn't discriminate between 'research' and 'clinical research' when I was looking into programs, so I don't even know how many programs offer a degree like that. However, I intend to study clinically-relevant topics almost exclusively in my future research.

I will be completing the AuD program first, then returning after my externship for the remainder of the PhD program. I have been told that it's approximately two additional years of study, as we have many research-foundation classes (such as System & Signal Theory, Lab Instrumentation, etc.) in our core program.

Here's how I see it...

Pros
- the broadened skill-set makes you a more desirable employee
- having clinical certification and experience will provide you with understanding, in addition to the extra weight your alphabet soup will carry in the research community
- if you later decide that research and/or teaching aren't where you belong, you have a Plan B
- in my program, at least, there are more assistantship positions for students pursuing a PhD than for those who are only interested in an AuD (I'm guessing that this is due to the research-based nature of most of the assistantship positions.)

Cons
- if you are impatient or do not enjoy school, the extra time will be torture
- increased costs, although PhD students are more often funded than AuD

I'm not as good at thinking of cons, but I gave you the disclosure statement on that! 🙂

Maybe I could give more detailed input if you gave me more of an idea of what your plan is and whether you'd be interested in a dual program, etc.