Clinical Role... Is PharmD the right path?

Started by Medme22
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Medme22

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently enrolled in a PhD program and I want to do more clinical research maybe doing clinical trials in industry. Should I do the PharmD/ PhD program? I want to have the option to do clinical research but also be able to practice as well. Is this a good option? Should I do them together or maybe start the PharmD after I finish the PhD?
 
If you want clinical then do MD/PHD...which would serve you much better conducting trials and such. If you want to have the convenience of working part-time as a pharmacist while doing your research then get the pharmd/phd...but this will of course limit your potential in that field as well. You can't have your cake and it eat it too; there will be pro's and con's to each path.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently enrolled in a PhD program and I want to do more clinical research maybe doing clinical trials in industry. Should I do the PharmD/ PhD program? I want to have the option to do clinical research but also be able to practice as well. Is this a good option? Should I do them together or maybe start the PharmD after I finish the PhD?

What type of clinical research? Designing the study? Pk study? Studying AE? Pharmacists would have a greater role in the latter two types of research.

If you want to practice pharmacy simultaneously, best work setting would be academics. However, in academia, the more likely type of studies would be value-added to new pharmacy services.

Typically, no clinicians (both MD and pharmd) would work in industry and practice simultaneously.
 
My school has a combined PhD/PharmD program that takes 6 years. That being said I'm pretty sure only ~5% of pharmacy jobs are "clinical".