Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Everyone. I'm a second year medical student getting ready to schedule my clinical rotations (time flies; I remember not too long ago browsing these forums, scheming on how to get accepted). I'm fairly set on applying to Urology, I've been doing research and networking and trying to set myself up for success as much as possible. At my school, core clinical rotations are pass/fail, but I'm curious about hearing thoughts of how to otherwise plan my schedule for someone planning to do a surgical subspecialty.
I'm in a position where I likely won't be able to do a urology elective before Sub-Is/away rotations, based on how my school's schedule is set up. Is this a bad thing? I've done a good amount of shadowing, research, and feel like urology is a good fit for me. My only other priority with my clinical schedule would be doing my surgery rotation at one of the big hospitals my school is associated with, so that I get a feel for what it's like to work on an academic surgical team, thus preparing myself well for Sub-Is. Additionally, if I don't enjoy the surgery rotation, then that would be letting me know that maybe urology is also not for me.
Alternatively, my school has the option to do rotations in more rural areas with no residency program as well, where I might get more operative experience during my surgical or ob-gyn rotation.
So my current plan is this: fam med/peds first (no particular location), followed by obgyn in a rural area for more operative experience, surgery rotation at big academic hospital, do psychiatry rotation after, then fam med/peds (whichever I don't get in the first rotation slot), then internal med to finish prep for step 2.
What do you all think about my plan?
I'm in a position where I likely won't be able to do a urology elective before Sub-Is/away rotations, based on how my school's schedule is set up. Is this a bad thing? I've done a good amount of shadowing, research, and feel like urology is a good fit for me. My only other priority with my clinical schedule would be doing my surgery rotation at one of the big hospitals my school is associated with, so that I get a feel for what it's like to work on an academic surgical team, thus preparing myself well for Sub-Is. Additionally, if I don't enjoy the surgery rotation, then that would be letting me know that maybe urology is also not for me.
Alternatively, my school has the option to do rotations in more rural areas with no residency program as well, where I might get more operative experience during my surgical or ob-gyn rotation.
So my current plan is this: fam med/peds first (no particular location), followed by obgyn in a rural area for more operative experience, surgery rotation at big academic hospital, do psychiatry rotation after, then fam med/peds (whichever I don't get in the first rotation slot), then internal med to finish prep for step 2.
What do you all think about my plan?