clinical rotation sites tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nopen912

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am a 2nd year PT student and about to start to choose my first clinical rotation site. I plan to do in-patients/ acute rehab in hospitals in New York City (Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn maybe). Any good recommendations and tips on how to choose rotation sites? Thanks so much :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Does your school have information packets/binders/website folders about each clinical site available? My school had forms that each site would have to fill out, giving information about how many PTs were employed, the number and types of patients you would see, hours you'd work, whether housing was available, what other opportunities were at the site (ex: observe surgery or help out with aquatic therapy in a hospital, or that there was a more manual based approach in an outpatient ortho clinic), etc. If you've got the location down, can you find cheap/affordable housing nearby? We also had information from past students who attended those clinicals and how their experience was, so if you can find that out too that's really helpful.

wow your school is really thorough on it, mine doesnt have any info on the sites except asking about the upperclassmen..

I strongly believe PT students should choose acute care as their first clinical affiliation site. Students who have had more experience clinically may fare better in Acute rehab or nursing home settings. Personally, I breezed through both of my acute care affiliations as an SPT. I had the most difficulty in acute rehab.

I would also choose outpatient if you like a more fast-paced setting. For your last clinical affiliation, consider home health care. Few students have clinical affiliations in home health care. I personally believe they miss out on a wonderful experience.