Clinical/Shadowing Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RiceBoy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Argg...so lost, can anyone help me out with what should be my next step? I am interested in volunteering this winter and this is what I have thus far:

Clinical experience(?):
1- Worked in rehab/nursing home for 1-2 months (~110hours) by transporting patients from their rooms to physical therapy room, helping residents on/off wheel chair, helped PTs by setting help exercises with patients (threw exercise ball back and forth, helped patients stand and walk again, put weights on patient leg for kicking exercises), conversed with tons of patients.

2- Spent spring break (~1 week, 40hours) in an HIV community center-setup meals, made fun group activities, close interaction with many of the patients since we spent most of the day there.

Shadowing:
1- 2 days with a pediatrician-sat in on some lectures and did rounds with him.
2- Anticipate on doing more 2-3 day externships again through my college that are medical-related

What should I aim for this winter, a longer-term shadowing or more clinical? I was thinking about volunteering in a free clinic because I think I need more experience around physicians, taking vitals, and seeing actual sick patients. Also, this may be a dumb ques, but is working with PTs not the same as working with physicians?

Members don't see this ad.

Get a longterm position. These <3 mos stints aren't going to get you good LORs. Try for a year-long volunteer clinical position somewhere you'd want to stay....
You need up to 100 hrs (at least 40) of shadowing to be competitive but to avoid being screened for clinical at all schools, you need up to 500 hrs clinical experience (clinical work/volunteer experience). You do the math as to what you need to do this winter....

A priority is to set up some type of long-term clinical experience where you are involved for 3-4 hours per week for the next year or so. The free clinic sounds ideal as you'll have plenty of face-to-face interaction with sick people.

You can to shadowing in brief bursts; it need not be a consistent activity.

If you work with Physical Therapy patients, it could be a clinical experience as this therapy is ordered by physicians. If you just watch the PT, you are shadowing the PT, and that won't help your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
you need up to 500 hrs clinical experience (clinical work/volunteer experience).
Isn't Utah the only med school that requires that much clinical experience?

The average allopathic med school applicant seems to have 1.5 years of clinical experience from what I've seen. I'd consider a year the minimum, even though there are (rare) reports by SDNers of getting an acceptance with less.

Yes, my pre-med advisor suggested the bursts idea, so I guess I won't be doing shadowing this winter.

But, am I really expected to find a long-term position while in school? The next medical facility near my campus is about 30min away and I have no car. Even so, don't they realize that most college kids have hectic schedules?

I was also considering SMDEP this summer, my advisor said this counts as a major bonus to clinical experience apparently?

Last edited:
But, am I really expected to find a long-term position while in school? The next medical facility near my campus is about 30min away and I have no car. Even so, I don't think it would even be possible because I've been taking 20 credits, 2 research labs, and a job 10hr/wk.

I was also considering SMDEP this summer, my advisor said this counts as a major bonus to clinical experience apparently?
SMDEP is a great experience, but only 3-4 months long. If you can't leave campus, is there a student health center you could volunter for? Are there students with special mobility needs that could use your help in tasks of daily living, or with their routine physical therapy? Does some campus group sponsor health screening fairs you could help with? Could you become a peer counselor for those with alcohol and drug problems? Think outside the box and come up with something, or maybe your advisor has suggestions!

Yes, it sounds like you are very busy. Adcomms like to see that you have good time management, so you'll need to find ways to fit in adcomm expectations, or else just wait until you graduate and acquire the expected experiences then.

So you think joining the EMS or counseling would cut it? Or do I need some legit work in a medical center.

So you think joining the EMS or counseling would cut it? Or do I need some legit work in a medical center.

EMS is fantastic for clinical experience. That would be by far the best way to do it out of your options. Even better if it's volunteer.