Clinical/Shadowing help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saintman41

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've really struggled finding physicians to shadow ever since the pandemic hit. In all honesty, I've called 50+ physicians ranging from free clinics, hospitals, to private clinics, but no one said they were allowing due to COVID. I'm not sure if I'm doing anything wrong, but my low number of hours (12) are definitely not from a lack of effort. For the people that have recently got shadowing, any tips or pointers.
PS: Currently getting my hep B shots over the course of 6 months to begin scribing.

Members don't see this ad.

Wait until you start scribing. You can make some connections there and ask around to shadow when you feel comfortable. They'll be more open to letting you shadow since you already work there.

Reactions: 1 user
Wait until you start scribing. You can make some connections there and ask around to shadow when you feel comfortable. They'll be more open to letting you shadow since you already work there.
Is it normally hard to find physicians for shadowing without having connections to them? Thanks for the reply!

Yep it's difficult to obtain these positions as a complete stranger. Having a connection (volunteering/research/work) with the clinic/hospital they work at makes it much easier. For example I shadowed two doctors in a hospital network where I volunteered. They were comfortable with it because I was already vetted by security, had all my immunizations on file, etc. It also seems like pediatricians (especially in the outpatient setting) are more open to it, maybe try your luck there if you haven't already.