Clinical vs. Lab Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

st.exupery

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do all you pre-med experts think it is okay to have just clinical research and no lab research? And between the two, do you think it is more valuable to have one over the other? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

st.exupery said:
Do all you pre-med experts think it is okay to have just clinical research and no lab research? And between the two, do you think it is more valuable to have one over the other? Thanks.

It is perfectly fine to only have clinical experience. That being said, you must then distinct between research based and primary care medical schools. For example, if you don't have any research, don't expect to get into Harvard or Chicago. However you'll have a great chance at Mich St Ostepath. or Wake Forest. (Basically you're moved from US News Top 50 Research to US News Top 50 Primary Care) If you've never done research before, I'd recommend it just to be sure that you don't like doing it. However once you've decided you don't want to do research, there's nothing wrong with being up front about it. And one is not necessarily more valuable than the other, it depends on your career goals.

Biscuit799 said:
It is perfectly fine to only have clinical experience. That being said, you must then distinct between research based and primary care medical schools. For example, if you don't have any research, don't expect to get into Harvard or Chicago. However you'll have a great chance at Mich St Ostepath. or Wake Forest. (Basically you're moved from US News Top 50 Research to US News Top 50 Primary Care) If you've never done research before, I'd recommend it just to be sure that you don't like doing it. However once you've decided you don't want to do research, there's nothing wrong with being up front about it. And one is not necessarily more valuable than the other, it depends on your career goals.

Do colleges prefer one type of research over the other? When's the best time to start?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good points. thank you! I guess I should get off my butt and realize that researching med schools can be just as important as research itself. I didn't even look into which schools are research based and primary care based, I figured I would go wherever takes me, but it is good to know this.

st.exupery said:

I have NO research experience and have gotten interviews at several top schools and have an acceptence already. You don't have to have any research (so only clinical will not hurt), although it will help you, especially if it is what you want to do or you are applying to a school big on research.

Schools like Mayo that are big on sending students into research probably more or less require it (this is my guess only), but there are many schools that are big on research that let you in without it. I dont see why only doing clinical research would hurt you then (if you want to go to med school and are interested in research, obviosly you want to do either clinical research or lab research that will eventually have clinical application, otherwise why the hell do you want to be a doctor).

If you are applying to a school that wants people to become clincians, having no research might not make any difference at all. The schools mission is something to consider when you are wondering what your chances of getting in are (e.g. if a school wants its students to do research, and you have a 3.9, 40 mcat, great ec's and lor's, but you want to only treat patients, you are not a good applicant for that school).

i believe the OP was asking about clinical research versus bench/lab research, not clinical experience versus bench/lab research. it seems a lot of people don't understand what clinical research is. i think either is fine, depending on your interests. most md/phd programs are looking for more bench type research (since you'd be getting the phd in chemistry, physics, bio, etc) but top research med schools (ie harvard, chicago etc) i don't think care for regular md admissions. they just want to see some research experiences suggesting you may go into academic medicine and there a ton of clinical researchers in academic medicine. in fact, the nice thing about clinical research is you get to do research, publish,etc while at the same time getting a lot of patient interaction. i've done a little bench stuff but overwhelmingly have more experience in clinical research and its been great talking about it on interviews and just a great learning experience in general (in terms of research skills and patient interaction). hope that helps!

Aero047 said:
Do colleges prefer one type of research over the other? When's the best time to start?

I don't think they prefer one type or the other. I would think that Ph.D investigator tends to like clinical and M.D.s to like the clinical, but it isn't always true now days. I think they are both important to medicine and science. It is probably more important that you learn from it, and you can intelligently describe what you are doing when asked what research you are involved in.

Start ASAP since it never hurts to have lots of research experience.

i believe the OP was asking about clinical research versus bench/lab research, not clinical experience versus bench/lab research. it seems a lot of people don't understand what clinical research is. i think either is fine, depending on your interests. most md/phd programs are looking for more bench type research (since you'd be getting the phd in chemistry, physics, bio, etc) but top research med schools (ie harvard, chicago etc) i don't think care for regular md admissions. they just want to see some research experiences suggesting you may go into academic medicine and there a ton of clinical researchers in academic medicine. in fact, the nice thing about clinical research is you get to do research, publish,etc while at the same time getting a lot of patient interaction. i've done a little bench stuff but overwhelmingly have more experience in clinical research and its been great talking about it on interviews and just a great learning experience in general (in terms of research skills and patient interaction). hope that helps!

I am planning on doing clinical research soon. I do not want to do a MD/PHd program. For clinical research, is it difficult to get published? What type of research do you do as a clinical researcher?

I am planning on doing clinical research soon. I do not want to do a MD/PHd program. For clinical research, is it difficult to get published? What type of research do you do as a clinical researcher?
Umm...if you didn't notice, this thread is from 13 years ago.