Clinical years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

densmore22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what the 3rd year is like (rotations, format, length, etc), I overheard at one point throughout my dealings with DMU that DPM does some of their rotations with the DO students? I'm just trying to get a feel for what I'll be going through in the distant future, also how does 4th year work? How many rotations do you do and I know you can spend them pretty much anywhere you want, how long are the rotations? Thanks to all you fellow DMUer's out there. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

densmore22 said:
I was just wondering what the 3rd year is like (rotations, format, length, etc), I overheard at one point throughout my dealings with DMU that DPM does some of their rotations with the DO students? I'm just trying to get a feel for what I'll be going through in the distant future, also how does 4th year work? How many rotations do you do and I know you can spend them pretty much anywhere you want, how long are the rotations? Thanks to all you fellow DMUer's out there. Thanks.

I'm not sure what you mean about rotating w/ DOs. We don't really work w/ them but we can and do rotate w/ othopods, radiologists, ect. The third year you rotate through the DMU clinic, any offices the cilnicain's work at outside of the clinic such as the VA, and at Broadlawn's Hospital (the county hospital.)

Your fourth year can be a little confusing. At DMU, you have no obligations to affiliated programs so the whole year is up to you. You have 3 cores during the year (obviously 4 months each). You can schedule your year anyway you'd like w/ the following: you get one month of vacation (though I believe this is optional, I have never heard of anyone refusing to take a vacation), you do one month of private practice, and you choose one core rotation. A core rotation is just that you spend a whole core (4 months) at the program.

Most students try to get there core at a hospital that they are interested in there residency program. The other programs you'd like to see you schedule before December b/c CRIP is the first three weeks of December.

I hope that this sheds some light. If you PM Jonwill, he might email you his rotation schedule for next year so you can see how his next year is laid out. Just depends on his mood and if he has an oral PBL exam the next day. :D

No, that was perfect. I'd been hearing different things so I just wanted to get clarification. I appreciate it. Thank you.