Clinton's universal health care plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BulsangHanNamja

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so what if Clinton is elected president? She seems to be devoted to the idea of universal health care. What do you guys think about this and how is it going to effect future pharmacists?
 
You realize what you are doing, right? This is going to start a lot of arguments.

That being said, Hillary '08!
 
this is a great thread. i'd like to sohear some informed opinions on the subject.

imho, it will just cause everyone to buy health insurance (like auto insurance) which will lower overall premiums dramatically.

not sure what it will do to healthcare salaries, though. I do think that there will be lines wrapping around around doctor's offices and pharmacies. it doesnt seem like americans can handle these kinds of things without abusing the sytem. people will go to the doctors office for a hangnail if it's anywhere close to free and will want a prescription too!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't have much of an opinion on universal healthcare/socialized medicine, because I'm poorly informed on the topic. That being said, I once heard someone from Canada say that their healthcare - which is "universal" - is poor. She said doctors have to wait weeks to order a test which could be done in a day in the US. If that is the case with all universal healthcare (I don't know this; Canada is the only one I've heard about), then it would seem that it's a bad idea.

However, it is a truism that healthcare in the US is very expensive. And according to this article, American patients may start going to other countries for hospital procedures if costs don't go down. What should be done about it? Is there another answer besides "universal healthcare"?
 
From the standpoint of a citizen of the US, I disagree with any government mandated policies to solve the problems that US citizens face, especially issues of health-care in the US. Freedom of choice to any degree.

As a future pharmacist and a businessman, something like this reminds me of the ever growing client base already covered by the government. As a generalization (I hate making them, but we are covering a topic concerning decisions based on generalizations), this is only going to increase the type of clientèle that is likely to want more drive-thru service, faster delivery, and a "I don't think before I speak" attitude.

Some type of reform on health-care in the US needs to be taken, but this is a marked step in the wrong direction.
 
From the standpoint of a citizen of the US, I disagree with any government mandated policies to solve the problems that US citizens face, especially issues of health-care in the US. Freedom of choice to any degree.

As a future pharmacist and a businessman, something like this reminds me of the ever growing client base already covered by the government. As a generalization (I hate making them, but we are covering a topic concerning decisions based on generalizations), this is only going to increase the type of clientèle that is likely to want more drive-thru service, faster delivery, and a "I don't think before I speak" attitude.

Some type of reform on health-care in the US needs to be taken, but this is a marked step in the wrong direction.

You mean the US Government was not meant to be our nanny....🙂
 
From the standpoint of a citizen of the US, I disagree with any government mandated policies to solve the problems that US citizens face, especially issues of health-care in the US. Freedom of choice to any degree.

As a future pharmacist and a businessman, something like this reminds me of the ever growing client base already covered by the government. As a generalization (I hate making them, but we are covering a topic concerning decisions based on generalizations), this is only going to increase the type of clientèle that is likely to want more drive-thru service, faster delivery, and a "I don't think before I speak" attitude.

Some type of reform on health-care in the US needs to be taken, but this is a marked step in the wrong direction.

What types of reform are you taking about? I think it is the best idea out there to provide some type of coverage for everyone. It saves us money because when people don't have insurance they go the ER and those are the most expensive visits and we the taxpayer have to pick up the tab. We also would have prevention instead of people going tt the hospital after years of not doing anything about a health problem they didn't know they had. We continue to spend over 1/2 trillion dollars in a country that had nothing to do with terrorism until we invaded it and lured the terrorists in, I think spending money on healthcare and helping people in our country is the best idea out there. We need a system that challenges the current insurance companies to lower premiums. Let people choose between a private or government insurance plan.
 
What types of reform are you taking about? I think it is the best idea out there to provide some type of coverage for everyone. It saves us money because when people don't have insurance they go the ER and those are the most expensive visits and we the taxpayer have to pick up the tab. We also would have prevention instead of people going tt the hospital after years of not doing anything about a health problem they didn't know they had.

We need a system that challenges the current insurance companies to lower premiums. Let people choose between a private or government insurance plan.

There are many people out there that would agree with you, but just because another reform idea isn't on the table at the moment doesn't mean that FORCING everyone to get insurance is the answer. Clinton or any other delegate has an entire staff dedicated to concocting policy and reform ideas. 1000's of lobbyists around the globe will tell you their solutions, and I'm certain that Clinton, Obama, and Mccain have all listened to quite a few of those lobbyists....so, the problem isn't a lack of alternative ideas or reformation.

It seems to me like all of the Democratic delegates had a slightly different version on a universal health care reform at one point. This fight over mandating is little more than a distraction, given that a mandate would matter only to a tiny portion of Americans. Both Clinton and Obama and virtually all experts agree that the combination of purchasing pools, subsidies, easy enrollment and mandatory coverage of children will cover a large majority of those who currently lack insurance -- even without a mandate that adults purchase it. A big chunk of the remainder are undocumented immigrants, who aren't covered by any of the plans.

Who's left? Only around 3% of the population. I don't have any glaring discrepancies with a universal US policy....again, its the "mandatory" part that rubs me the wrong way down a dark alley after dinner, especially when I've only got a minute or two before my walmart bought orlistat kicks in.