Close to graduation? Are you ready for the "real" world?

Started by pinkyrx
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pinkyrx

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those of you that are getting ready to graduate... Are you actually ready to be a pharmacist? I know that probably sounds like a stupid question because of course everybody is ready to start working and making some money... What I mean though, is if you were to start working next month at your local community/retail pharmacy would you be "competent" as a pharmacist immediately?
 
My school also has a hospital/clinical focus, but we do have one rotation in community pharmacy to give us some experience. During year three, we also had a class where we were called on for various scenarios, so we could practice counseling patients.

Anyway, I graduate on the 5th and start work on the 7th. I'm confident in my abilities and I feel that I am prepared.
 
I think for most people there is at least a little bit of time between graduation and when you actually sit for the board and get your license. I worked with an intern last week who has accepted a retail position for after graduation. They already have her working in the store she will be at after she gets her license, and she'll continue training and working there as much as she wants to work from now until she takes the board (in June, I think). So, that type of arrangement would give you a little time to catch up if you do find youself in the retail scenario.