Jun 9, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi all!

I have a quick question on how to properly handle closed-file interviews, as I have one coming up soon.

So since they won't have my app open in front of them, would it be fine to address my transition from medicine to dentistry when answering "why dentistry", or should I leave that part out? I've always thought it was an important life aspect, and I think it could help to benefit me if I word my response appropriately. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

RuffDay

2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2015
Status
Dental Student
You can definitely do that. As long as you have a story and be really sincere of why dentistry, then I do not see any problems with that. You can mention it briefly because I am sure there are many reasons for you in choosing dentistry. If it is in your personal statement, I don't see why you shouldn't mention it. They invited you for an interview for a reason!

Also, look at the person's body language at the same time. If the interviewer seems interested in your reasoning of changing medical to dental, then explain further.

They will most likely ask you "Tell me about yourself" and since this is a closed file, you can approach it by highlighting your applications. You don't have to do it this way though, as there are no wrong answers.

OP
virtualmaster999
Jun 9, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
You can definitely do that. As long as you have a story and be really sincere of why dentistry, then I do not see any problems with that. You can mention it briefly because I am sure there are many reasons for you in choosing dentistry. If it is in your personal statement, I don't see why you shouldn't mention it. They invited you for an interview for a reason!

Also, look at the person's body language at the same time. If the interviewer seems interested in your reasoning of changing medical to dental, then explain further.

They will most likely ask you "Tell me about yourself" and since this is a closed file, you can approach it by highlighting your applications. You don't have to do it this way though, as there are no wrong answers.
Yeah I agree! Thanks for your opinion, much appreciated!

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
While on the subject, mention transitions from fireman, prima ballerina, chemistry, biology, psychology, engineering, pharmacy, vet, pod, medicine to dentistry.

Evistor

2+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2014
how do you find out if your interview is a closed-file? Did they tell you?