Closed ophthalmology residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc320

Reaction score
What ophthalmology residencies have closed? I thought of the topic when I found out an attending did residency at St. Luke's Roosevelt, the New York City hospital that John Lennon died after being shot. The room that he died in has been demolished.

The results that I came up with after an internet search are:

Summa / Akron City Hospital, Ohio, closed 2020-2021 academic year
University of Arizona, Tucson, south program, closed 2019-2020 academic year. This must have been some sort of consolidation of the two University of Arizona programs
Drexel / Hahneman, Philadelphia 2019-2020 academic year. This was a shocker. The whole hospital was shut down.
Doctors Hospital, Ohio, 2019-2020 academic year. This program shut down before it started.
University of Florida, Jacksonville, closed 2016-2017 academic year. This was an up and coming residency that shut down when the chairman stepped down.
Mount Sinai. This is probably St. Luke's Roosevelt closing but not sure. 2012-2013 academic year.
St. Vincent's Hospital, New York. 2009-2010 academic year. The whole hospital shut down.
University of Maryland Midtown, 2008-2009 academic year. I suspect this was Greater Baltimore Medical Center (GBMC under the well known Dr. C. P. Wilkinson)
MLK UCLA Charles Drew, Los Angeles, 2006-2007 academic year
Northshore, 2004-2005 academic year. Was this a Long Island program?
University of Tennessee Chattanooga, 2004-2005 academic year
Georgetown, merged into Washington Hospital Center, 2003-2004 academic year
Interfaith, Brooklyn, 2003-2004, lost accreditation, didn't withdraw accreditation
Cooper, Camden NJ 2002-2003 academic year. The hospital remains and now Wills Eye Hospital residents go there.
St. Francis, Pittsburgh, 2001-2002 academic year.

Some programs that disbanded before 2001 include Catholic (Brooklyn), Brookdale (Brooklyn), White Memorial (Los Angeles).

Any history buffs?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I know about one of them first hand. I trained at St. Vincent’s Hospital in NYC, which produced some well-known ophthalmologists in the field.
Another is Manhattan Eye & Ear. Technically closed their residency.
Another is Sinai Hospital in Detroit.

Last edited:
There was one in Las Vegas for one or two classes I believe. I think it was Valley Hospital.

Georgetown's Center for Sight ophthalmology residency merged with the Washington Hospital Center program after the merger and purchase of Georgetown University Medical Center by Medstar, the parent organization of WHC. It was beneficial for both programs. That was over 20 years ago.

Detroit Sinai Hospital merged with Grace Hospital and its ophthalmology program merged with Wayne State University's Kresge Eye Institute program.