Clothing Tax Deduction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sushirolls

Topped with salmon, avocado and tobiko
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick internet search seems to be that suits and dress clothes are not tax deductible. I usually wear suits / formal clothes. However with telemedicine I've been doing more of a top half professional look. Which has opened up Pandora's box for comfort.

I'm in need of reinvesting and freshening up my professional wardrobe, but I loathe to drop the money on new suits and dress shirts. I dipped my toes in the area of customized tailored suits, and after experiencing the comfort of those over off the shelf suits its hard to go back. Greater range of motion and less tight spots. Current expense is tentatively several thousand...

So the point of this thread is to explore, how to get the tax deduction in work clothes. I believe scrubs can count. But the questions are, would you wear scrubs for outpatient Psych? Are there any nice options out there that look more professional and could be viable for outpatient psych? Or are there other unique 'uniform' clothes that could be professional, but yet be picked up by the business to get the tax deduction? Any links to viable 'uniform' options? Scrubs are the epitome of comfort and beat a tailored suit every time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You'll have a hard time getting anything to pass muster tax-wise. The tax break is for work clothes that are required to run your business and that cannot otherwise be worn for non-work purposes (i.e. you wouldn't wear them on your day off). Scrubs qualify since your employer likely requires them (or if you're the employer you need to wear them yourself) and you wouldn't generally wear them on your day off.

As an outpatient Psychiatrist I wouldn't be surprised if the IRS would try to disallow scrubs because it'd be hard to argue that those are required for that particular line of work.

Reactions: 1 users
I was thinking having the practice logo on it. 'To enhance brand identity' or something as typed out in a policy statement, to further the tax break muster line.

Mens-eulo-slim-zip-mock-top_graphite-2_750x750.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking having the practice logo on it. 'To enhance brand identity' or something as typed out in a policy statement, to further the tax break muster line.

I'm a recovering CPA and even when I was working in the field I didn't really do taxes other than my own. But I believe the promotional work wear refers to being in promotional situations where you're not working with people already connected to your business (your patients in this instance). It's usually for people going to trade shows or people who are interacting with potential customers. I'd check with your accountant but I wouldn't think that'll fly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Deducting the cost of your professional clothes is equivalent to about a 30-35% discount, right? Dropping back from full-custom to semi-custom can more than do that. Or switch to slacks + blazer or sweater. But scrubs?

you could probably get an equal discount wihtout the concern about the deduction being deemed acceptable or not by sending your measurements to an overseas tailor.... my brother in law did this and bought tuxes for the couple of guys in their wedding. it required like 15 different measurements be sent in... the results were extremely flattering and, for my partner anyway, excellent fit with no modifications needed; seams and lining were very well-done. Idk how much it was but he said it was about half what it would have cost in the US to do it the same way, so I guess that's a good deal. Idk how you go about finding that kind of situation though.

Can't deduct professional clothes currently. But I get what you are getting at for what is the relative cost savings.

I was thinking scrubs constitute a Uniform in eyes of IRS that aren't worn outside of work, therefore deductible. But are there any professional or artisanal scrubs or outfits that could pass the professional muster in an outpatient clinic that doesn't just look odd. The photo above is the best I could find with a 5 minute search.

Can't deduct professional clothes currently. But I get what you are getting at for what is the relative cost savings.

I was thinking scrubs constitute a Uniform in eyes of IRS that aren't worn outside of work, therefore deductible. But are there any professional or artisanal scrubs or outfits that could pass the professional muster in an outpatient clinic that doesn't just look odd. The photo above is the best I could find with a 5 minute search.
I'm a little confused by the pivot from "can I deduct the clothes I like to wear for work" to "what clothes can I switch to and use as a deduction for work."

Why not just keep wearing your badass custom jackets and shirts and wear pajama pants and just not spend additional money?

Covid telemedicine is winding down and in person visits are returning. Thus, got to look full professional again.

Plus, I like to ruminate on tax deduction options for business ownership and how best to maximize the benefits of being in self employed private practice.

The tax break is for work clothes that are required to run your business and that cannot otherwise be worn for non-work purposes (i.e. you wouldn't wear them on your day off).
There's no logic in this rational when you can deduct a pencil (which is a regular item used frequently at home and work) but not a suit (which I would never wear unless I absolutely had to for work). That said, the government can make whatever rules they want, it would just be nice if there was some sort of internal consistency.

High end scrubs are 1-200/set. Hard to justify going to great lengths for a 30-40% discount.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no logic in this rational when you can deduct a pencil (which is a regular item used frequently at home and work) but not a suit (which I would never wear unless I absolutely had to for work). That said, the government can make whatever rules they want, it would just be nice if there was some sort of internal consistency.
Not to be too cynical but tax deductions are usually for the benefit of some constituency or donor group of whichever party in congress created said deduction. I'm not going to bother looking up the history of this particular deduction but it wouldn't surprise me if it was put in for unions (uniforms), nurses (scrubs), or some other group legislatures were trying to throw a bone to at the time. Internal consistency is not of particular concern when drafting legislation of this nature.

Well, they may view deducting a 5 cent pencil a little differently than a thousand dollar suit :) If they allowed a clothing deduction, I'd abuse the hell out of that.

While I think you'd likely do fine (obviously not a CPA) deducting scrubs, I don't get the appeal compared to the already custom fitted suits you have? My off-the-rack medium range suits look just as good today as 5 years ago and I wear them religiously one day a week (who has time to pick a suit pre-coffee when you can wear the same one each day of the week).

To qualify, the clothes have to be required by your employer AND be something that is not feasible to wear outside the work setting. But that will immediately trigger an audit. Which will cost Saville Row prices to fight.

Better to get the work car, and go to fun conferences.

Just pay the taxes on your clothes, my god
My competition, mostly non-profits, and less so for profit Big Box shops, certainly aren't saying meh, we'll let this tax opportunity slide.

I most certainly intend to review what's out there and how I can optimize. I've already got one arm behind my back without being able to deduct/write off unpaid patient balances - which Big Box Shop non-profit gets to do...

I'm in a saturated area and this is part of the process of competing.

To qualify, the clothes have to be required by your employer AND be something that is not feasible to wear outside the work setting. But that will immediately trigger an audit. Which will cost Saville Row prices to fight.

Better to get the work car, and go to fun conferences.
Self-employed individuals can claims qualifying clothing as a business expense.

Edited to clarify that it's not really a deduction for self-employed.

My competition, mostly non-profits, and less so for profit Big Box shops, certainly aren't saying meh, we'll let this tax opportunity slide.

I most certainly intend to review what's out there and how I can optimize. I've already got one arm behind my back without being able to deduct/write off unpaid patient balances - which Big Box Shop non-profit gets to do...

I'm in a saturated area and this is part of the process of competing.

Which work clothes are necessary and usable only for work?

Determine which work clothes are necessary for your job but not suitable to wear outside of work. However, just buying clothes specifically for work and never wearing them at any other time isn't good enough. The IRS has accepted deductions for theatrical costumes, hard hats, and other safety gear.

Among the items that do not qualify are overalls, white dress shirts, and bibs even if required on the job site. For example, even though your company requires you to wear a suit each day, you cannot deduct their cost since you can wear the suits to weddings, job interviews, and other occasions that don't relate to work.

Tips

• Most military uniforms can be worn off duty, so are not a guaranteed deduction unless the rules prevent you from wearing them outside of work. If you receive a clothing allowance or other type of reimbursement, then you must reduce your deductible expense by the amount of allowance you receive.

This is very cut and dry tax law. Barring very, very specific examples such as costumes and safety equipment you're basically SOL. Even military uniforms, which have minimal utility as day to day clothing, cannot be deducted. By trying to deduct clothing, you open the door to an audit that could cost you far more than the entire cost of the clothing itself. This isn't a "tax opportunity," it is cut and dry tax fraud

The IRS has accepted deductions for theatrical costumes, hard hats, and other safety gear.
This is the key. Get your custom suits made from kevlar fabric to protect against attacks from knife-wielding psychotic patients and you're all set.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Do psychiatrists wear suits to work regularly? Where are y’all located where this is a thing?
I see a wide range depending on cliental and academic affiliation from designer suits and ties to the ill-fitting sweater. I wear (relatively cheap) suits, but no tie, even working with low SES patients as a personal preference. I think the ill-dressed psychiatrist is a painful cliché that I have no interest in propagating.

Why in the hell would anyone wear scrubs or a suit in outpatient psych..just wear business casual cheap clothes and move on bro don’t waste money on this stuff

Have your clinic embroidered right above the breast pocket. 50% of your suit will then be tax deductible. When off duty, insert pocket square to cover up the embroidery.

Why in the hell would anyone wear scrubs or a suit in outpatient psych..just wear business casual cheap clothes and move on bro don’t waste money on this stuff
Depends on the patient population. Dressing nice or slightly nicer than the patient population is a form of behavioral modeling. I dress nice to show my patients I respect them, their time, as well as myself and my time. It sets the tone, especially at the start. Dressing too casually sends the wrong message.

Depends on the patient population. Dressing nice or slightly nicer than the patient population is a form of behavioral modeling. I dress nice to show my patients I respect them, their time, as well as myself and my time. It sets the tone, especially at the start. Dressing too casually sends the wrong message.
Under no circumstance do you need to be wearing a suit or scrubs

Any tax deduction for birthday suit?

Covid telemedicine is winding down and in person visits are returning. Thus, got to look full professional again.

Plus, I like to ruminate on tax deduction options for business ownership and how best to maximize the benefits of being in self employed private practice.

I mean, you can continue telemedicine if you're worried about it. Telepsych isn't going anywhere, pandemic be damned.

Under no circumstance do you need to be wearing a suit or scrubs
No one is saying you need to. You can wear nice slacks and a fitted dress shirt no problem, it's professional and reasonable. You can also wear a suit which is professional and reasonable. There are clearly some patient populations (aka cash pay, high income professionals) that this may slightly influence but at the end of the day its about you being most confident and comfortable in your skin which will accordingly project the confidence people want and need from their physician.

No one is saying you need to. You can wear nice slacks and a fitted dress shirt no problem, it's professional and reasonable. You can also wear a suit which is professional and reasonable. There are clearly some patient populations (aka cash pay, high income professionals) that this may slightly influence but at the end of the day its about you being most confident and comfortable in your skin which will accordingly project the confidence people want and need from their physician.
For a normal outpatient practice, ie not cash pay to rich people, wearing a suit seems odd to me, we’re not investment bankers or executives, it just seems weird to wear a suit so you can discuss someone’s past trauma and give them zoloft..but to each his own I guess

For a normal outpatient practice, ie not cash pay to rich people, wearing a suit seems odd to me, we’re not investment bankers or executives, it just seems weird to wear a suit so you can discuss someone’s past trauma and give them zoloft..but to each his own I guess
It's entirely normal for doctors to wear suits. Don't know why you're making it seem weird.

Reactions: 4 users
It's entirely normal for doctors to wear suits. Don't know why you're making it seem weird.
Im curious where Robellis trained that outpatient MDs wearing suits sounds foreign. I'm honestly pretty surprised when I walk into an outpatient day for a surgeon to see them in anything other than suits (obviously not on times when they are wearing scrubs but on dress clothing days). Conversely most peds or FP folks do not wear suits that I've seen, but presumably anyone whos a doctor has rotated through a gracious plenty of clinics to see the spread.

Im curious where Robellis trained that outpatient MDs wearing suits sounds foreign. I'm honestly pretty surprised when I walk into an outpatient day for a surgeon to see them in anything other than suits (obviously not on times when they are wearing scrubs but on dress clothing days). Conversely most peds or FP folks do not wear suits that I've seen, but presumably anyone whos a doctor has rotated through a gracious plenty of clinics to see the spread.

Suits sound odd to me as well, but in Texas everything is special. As I almost applied Dermatology, I was connected with the Derm department and went to the Derm dept Christmas party one year. The chair of the department was the most dressed up in boots, jeans, collared shirt, and a blazer. I showed up in a suit and was overdressed. This was at a nice restaurant.

I’ve seen a couple older psychiatrists wear suits in my city, but it’s pretty unusual. That said, we have a lot of unusual if you look around a bit.

I have 1 suit. Weddings and funerals only.

Any tax deduction for birthday suit?
Yes, your parents got a hefty tax deduction when you popped out in your birthday suit, and for 18 years thereafter.

• Haha
Sushi... you're an attending now.

If the figs fit, wear 'em.