Clowns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhatJobDoIPick

Reaction score
One of the reasons I left my hospital employed job was the lack of any semblance of Leadership.

I might be off base, but I view the filling of shift holes to fall as the feet of the people who call themselves leaders (chair, etc) if no other coverage can be found.

How does it work at your shop?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
They look for anyone else to do it. Leadership is busy doing leadership things.

It depends what kind of group you’re in. If you’re in an SDG then that falls on the owners so I view it as my problem. If I worked for a CMG, I wouldn’t view it as my problem. If I worked for a hospital, I might feel somewhere in between depending on the relationship.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It also depends on baseline coverage. If you have quadruple coverage and someone calls in sick, I don’t expect anything to happen. It’s just triple coverage instead. Single coverage or high volume double coverage is a different story - leadership needs to get that shift filled.

It also depends on baseline coverage. If you have quadruple coverage and someone calls in sick, I don’t expect anything to happen. It’s just triple coverage instead. Single coverage or high volume double coverage is a different story - leadership needs to get that shift filled.

Less so that "leadership needs to get the shift filled" overall, as the OP seems to imply – but that leadership needs to have thought it through and have a plan. It might be that it just gets left open if there's sufficient coverage to ensure safety, an explicit backup roster, or that overlapping shifts get extended, etc. Just needs to be a durable and achievable plan in place for the inevitable one-off, short-term, and long-term absences that inevitably occur.

Our SDG - fell on doc who needed coverage. If an emergency, fell on other partners via begging. If still no coverage, fell on the medical director.

CMG - Who cares. No docs feels obligated. Medical director should cover but if not, then who? Many times if there is double coverage, they just run short. When there is no ownership, then why would I lose my precious down time to cover for another doc unless I personally like him?

Currently a director for a CMG at multiple sites that are absolute dumpster fires for coverage. I feel zero obligation to pick up extra shifts. It’s the CMG’s duty to cover those shifts. I don’t share in their profits. My meager stipend is for all the admin BS I have to do. I have a life and it’s not my responsibility to be on sick call coverage. Otherwise I would want to be paid 500k just in admin stipends. One time one of my colleagues told me I have a duty to pick up a shift if someone was sick. I think they were genuinely shocked when I told them that was nowhere in my contract or my duties. I don’t think people realize that’s what you get with these CMGs and people just assume it falls to the director.

Reactions: 4 users
Currently a director for a CMG at multiple sites that are absolute dumpster fires for coverage. I feel zero obligation to pick up extra shifts. It’s the CMG’s duty to cover those shifts. I don’t share in their profits. My meager stipend is for all the admin BS I have to do. I have a life and it’s not my responsibility to be on sick call coverage. Otherwise I would want to be paid 500k just in admin stipends. One time one of my colleagues told me I have a duty to pick up a shift if someone was sick. I think they were genuinely shocked when I told them that was nowhere in my contract or my duties. I don’t think people realize that’s what you get with these CMGs and people just assume it falls to the director.

Agree for CMG.

For hospital system where these admin jokers are working 1 day shift / mo, I think they could pick up a shift.

The amount of good will they would generate would be enormous.

In my experience most admin become admin specifically cause they hate clinical medicine.

Its one of the huge problems with EM that most leaders don't even like to practice the specialty.

Less so that "leadership needs to get the shift filled" overall, as the OP seems to imply – but that leadership needs to have thought it through and have a plan. It might be that it just gets left open if there's sufficient coverage to ensure safety, an explicit backup roster, or that overlapping shifts get extended, etc. Just needs to be a durable and achievable plan in place for the inevitable one-off, short-term, and long-term absences that inevitably occur.
+1
Thank you for artfully completing my thought

One of the reasons I left my hospital employed job was the lack of any semblance of Leadership.

I might be off base, but I view the filling of shift holes to fall as the feet of the people who call themselves leaders (chair, etc) if no other coverage can be found.

How does it work at your shop?
In my SDG we have a mix of a backup system in our group. Depending on the site we utilize this person or the site itself will figure it out. We don’t really put the burden on the sick doc as they are usually dealing with a family issue/illness.