Clueless about financial aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KokoLoco

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I submitted my FAFSA and got an SAR in return. What happens next?

Also, am I supposed to be applying for scholarships right now? I just started looking and it appears that most scholarship apps are due in the next month. :(

I'm clueless about financial aid and how it works... Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

So I submitted my FAFSA and got an SAR in return. What happens next?

Also, am I supposed to be applying for scholarships right now? I just started looking and it appears that most scholarship apps are due in the next month. :(

I'm clueless about financial aid and how it works... Thanks for any help.

Dude, I totally feel you. I think:

Fill out FAFSA including parent info if you want school-specific need-based loans and scholarships.

Around early april they give you a financial aid package letting you know what you can apply for. IE stafford loan, school-specific loans, grants, scholarships, etc.

THEN, you apply for all the monies.

-File the FAFSA, making sure you mark the schools you are accepted to (or could be accepted to).

-Look up the schools' individual offices' of fin aid and see if they require additional forms or documents.

- Send those in as needed.

- Wait for award letters.

- Sign award letters and sign papers for loans.

(optional: find external scholarships)

Members don't see this ad :)
What if you are still waiting to hear from a couple of schools? Should you go ahead and fill out any extra paperwork they have for scholarships/loans?

What if you are still waiting to hear from a couple of schools? Should you go ahead and fill out any extra paperwork they have for scholarships/loans?

In general, yes. Call up the specific schools and ask. Many cover this during the interview presentations.