CME for students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rox

ossified
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know if CME credits count for medical students...Some websites say it's restricted for physicians....Would I benefit If I took CME credits while I'm still a student..I appreciate any input.

Members don't see this ad.

While you can sometimes (but you are right--not always) take the classes for your own benefit, you do not get any Category 1 credit for taking CME classes, which I assume is the type of credit you are looking for. When you register for these classes, the course will ask you what your credentials are, so as to provide you with the appropriate credits (i.e. physicians and nurses can sometimes take the same course but will be awarded separate types of credits--MDs refer to these as CME, nurses call them CEUs) and as a med student, you do not qualify to receive any. Even if you did, there is nowhere for you to log these credits, nor do they count for anything. You can not backlog CMEs. In other words, you can not stock up on CME credits now and log them later once you are done with training. Plus, many of these classes are costly and some may still expect you to pay, even of you aren't receiving any credit. I don't think taking a bunch of CME classes will boost your CV when applying to residency either.

If you have a separate degree or certification (EMT-P, RN, PA, etc.) you are trying to maintain while in medical school, that is a different story. In that case you do need to continue logging CME hours just as if you were still working full time, and be advised that attending medical school does not count toward "continuing medical education."

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to take CME classes now?

Thanks Bitsy3221, you really helped me out here..I want to take them just to boost my CV for residency issues as you said...So you recommend I take a bunch of CME classes right after I graduate? Of course, I'm talking about on-line courses which are more readily accessibleand some fo them are free.

P.S I don't have any separate degree or certification.

I absolutely do not recommend taking any of these classes unless you have a lot of time and personal interest. They will not help you when applying for residency. If you are genuinely interested and want to learn more on a particular topic, and can fit it in without neglecting your required med school topics, then fine. Just don't expect to ever have the fact that you took the course brought up again and don't expect any residency PD to be overly impressed. It will not boost your CV.

I went to med school after working in a different health care field for a few years that required me to have CME credits, so I am very familiar with these courses. Most of the free, online courses are fine for a quick read and an easy hour of CME credit, but will not impress anyone when applying to residency. Even the more indepth CME courses, such as ACLS or ATLS (which can require hundreds of dollars and a weekend of time) will not boost your CV significantly--certainly not enough to warrant the time and money you will put into getting them. I had to keep up with my CME credits in medical school, so I have lots and they were of zero help to me when applying for residency.

Only fully licensed physicians need to record CMEs--residents do not. You will not need to worry about CME credits for a long time and definitely do not need to take a bunch as soon as you graduate. There is enough to learn in medical school, and if you feel you are lacking then you can easily spend time reading more from your texts or journal articles without searching for a formalized CME course. Focus on your "medical education" before you try to work on your "continuing medical education" ;)

Well, I think that's it, I will forget about them...Thank you :)