CME question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfguy84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time reapplying for a license. I am confused about what category 1 CME is and where I can go to obtain this. Is there some online course I can do to obtain my hours? What are most people doing? I just graduated residency in June but I had a license to moonlight so I am due to renew in March.

Any info on the quickest, easiest way to obtain my CME would be great. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

First time reapplying for a license. I am confused about what category 1 CME is and where I can go to obtain this. Is there some online course I can do to obtain my hours? What are most people doing? I just graduated residency in June but I had a license to moonlight so I am due to renew in March.

Any info on the quickest, easiest way to obtain my CME would be great. Thanks.
If you're studying for boards and do BtB, it's something like 52 category 1 hours. Some other Qbanks like Board Vitals you can pay extra for it to count as CME (BV is up to 40 credits). Most "formal learning activities" qualify for category 1. That can include conferences, grand rounds, formal online lectures/courses, etc. When you earn CME it will specify what category it is, most states have type 1 and 2, some may have sub-categories or category 3. Google is your friend though. Plenty of places offer online CME, if your state accepts CMEBroker that seems to be a great resource.

What state are you getting licensed in? The requirements vary dramatically. For many states, you not need CME for your first renewal if you just graduated, particularly if you are taking and plan to pass your board certification. I've never really seen anything other than Category 1 advertised. I guess some states have that. Mine definitely doesn't.