CMH vs AMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

user_15657

Reaction score
APPIC match is approaching! I'm trying to decide between ranking a CMH internship and an AMC internship as my first choice. I love both training programs, interns are happy at both, and stipends are very similar. So it comes down to career prospects. The consensus seems to be that AMCs open up doors to work *anywhere* but don't hire folx who worked in CMHCs? Anyone have insight into how true this is? Would I be closing doors by interning at the CMHC?

Members don't see this ad.

Good training in any setting is valuable, especially if you’re able to talk about it in a way where you come off as competent. And as long as you have a license, you’re valuable.

IMO the biggest driver for hiring is supply and demand. For example, an org in a rural setting might want to recruit a psychologist with ample assessment experience but they’ll eventually settle for somebody who did an online LCSW because it’s better to have something than nothing.

A big benefit of AMC/VA settings is the opportunity to do multiple & varied rotations and receive specific supervision in speciality areas like anxiety disorders, PTSD, & eating disorders as well as medical setting ones like acute inpatient, rehab, etc that a typical outpatient only CMH might not offer on paper (or be capable of offering), which can increase your initial attractiveness to employers during your early career phase.

I always encourage people to pay a lot of attention to rotations offered and how the year is structured. And ask questions now before rank if you’re confused or want more info. You might find you’ll like some of these areas where you don’t have experience yet and pursue jobs as such in the future.

Once you’re further into your career, where you interned becomes largely meaningless as long as it was accredited since you will have accrued lots of experience and have other references.

And ultimately, how you feel about a place and whether it fits with things like location and cost of living is also very important for rank. Good luck!

Agree that I would rank the AMC higher. That being said, my postdoc experience was with a CMH and that experience has paid huge dividends and continues to do so now as I build my own group practice with a community support program element.