CMO salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iamnew2

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been a medical director for a number of years, with significant administrative duties.
I have thought about moving up the ladder, and have been offered a few chief medical officer positions, albeit in locations that I am not interested in due to geographical preferences in the midwest where my family is in. I'm hoping to find a CMO position locally one day, but they seem to come by infrequently in my area.

Granted had it not been for location, I'd probably would have gone with the offers.
What I found interesting is that the chief medical officer position pays less than what my med director position pays - and I have seen a trend across numerous markets.

I have a pretty good position at this time so I wouldn't make the switch to a CMO position unless the right position came along but wanted to get others thoughts in terms of what compensation should be for a CMO ? I've seen salaries in the 300k range, which seems lowish for a CMO.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Google a bunch of nonprofit health care networks in your region. Find out who their CMO is. Look up the 990 tax documents for these nonprofits and find the CMO name and their listed salary.

300K+ minimum if all admin. I have been offered more.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
300K+ minimum if all admin. I have been offered more.
lol…if you ever want to open a YouTube page I’d do my best to contribute

Reactions: 1 user
So I have been a medical director for a number of years, with significant administrative duties.
I have thought about moving up the ladder, and have been offered a few chief medical officer positions, albeit in locations that I am not interested in due to geographical preferences in the midwest where my family is in. I'm hoping to find a CMO position locally one day, but they seem to come by infrequently in my area.

Granted had it not been for location, I'd probably would have gone with the offers.
What I found interesting is that the chief medical officer position pays less than what my med director position pays - and I have seen a trend across numerous markets.

I have a pretty good position at this time so I wouldn't make the switch to a CMO position unless the right position came along but wanted to get others thoughts in terms of what compensation should be for a CMO ? I've seen salaries in the 300k range, which seems lowish for a CMO.

Thoughts?

The CMO of the small 3 hospital health system I operate out of ( ~500 beds between the 3 places) is making $800,000 a year.

Since it's a non profit, the salary is public knowledge.

300k is low.

I agree. My comment was based on the OP background. Hard to get more than 300k if starting off. RUSH CMO makes 1.5+. Average is about 500k but can easily be as higher than 1 million.

Reactions: 1 user