CMS proposed physician payment rule 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Linktones

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any guesses on how this would be implemented if it goes through?

“CMS is also proposing to bundle certain chronic pain management and treatment services into new monthly payments, improving patient access to team-based comprehensive chronic pain treatment. Lastly, CMS is proposing to cover opioid treatment and recovery services from mobile units, such as vans, to increase access for people who are homeless or live in rural areas.”

Members don't see this ad.

“CMS is also proposing to bundle certain chronic pain management and treatment services into new monthly payments, improving patient access to team-based comprehensive chronic pain treatment. Lastly, CMS is proposing to cover opioid treatment and recovery services from mobile units, such as vans, to increase access for people who are homeless or live in rural areas.”

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Vans giving sublocade to the rural and homeless.

Or vans full of opioids getting burglarized.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wait...Specifically what vans and who is paying for that gas money? Sprinter van? Plain, white Ford van?

The enemy of good is perfect, and I'm okay with a van I guess...So many Q though.

I see crime involved...Van robberies.

I am sure it will go like everything does with Pain and CMS. It will be some type of boondoggle for some unscrupulous docs who make millions. Then they get fined. A la urine tox.
Then CMS does cost saving things like limiting facet to one level payment of 250 no matter how many levels you do.

Or something similar

Can't wait to see the cuts they have in store for us next year.
When CMS spoke at asipp in 2021 the ladies there said that CMS is not allowed to consider cost when amending these LCDs. Strange though that things never get expanded, only more limited and at a bigger cost save for the gubment.

I am just glad that inflation is only transitory so we can afford to be paid less. 😂

Reactions: 7 users
This cms budget neutral thing has got to go. Getting penalized for being productive audited for working hard. All of this is just terrible.

Reactions: 1 users
As I mentioned in the other thread, these cuts every year are becoming unsustainable.

How is it remotely fair to cut our pay by 4% every year when our costs are increasing by double that amount or more every year?

And unfortunately patients on federal insurance, Medicare , tricare, and Medicaid don’t understand how poorly their plans pay.

My most annoying patients are rich patients on Medicare who behave as if they are paying cash for everything instead of the government paying us basically Medicaid rates.

I plan to soon limit my federal government patients of all types to just a few per day.

Time spent on federal patients is becoming charity care for all of them, not just Medicaid patients

Last edited:
This cms budget neutral thing has got to go. Getting penalized for being productive audited for working hard. All of this is just terrible.

Can someone explain “budget neutral” when physician fees never go up but facility fees increase significantly every year?

Reactions: 13 users
I don’t think private insurance pays more than Medicare here with much, much more hassle. I could have a practice filled with traditional Medicare and Medicaid patients and do great.

I have a job where I work for the hospital 4 days per week. 1 day per week I have a private practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that most Medicare patients are easier to treat than most commercial patients.
But some Medicare and most Medicaid patients can still be demanding.

This financial discussion doesn’t apply nearly as much to hospital based docs as you receive 130% Medicare for clinic appts and double ASC facility fees for fluoro procedures, so yes you’ll do fine financially seeing Medicare and Medicaid due to SOS.

For those of us in pp, not so much.

My practice has good commercial and WC contracts that pay well above Medicare. So every time CMS cuts Medicare rates, I debate how much longer I will still accept it.

Last edited:
Most hospital based physicians bill the office rate for office visits here. The only place I know of that bills the facility fee and then the physician fee is the university.

Can someone explain “budget neutral” when physician fees never go up but facility fees increase significantly every year?

That's not an accident. It's by design and was a big part of Obama-Care. Remember, "Elections have consequences." And, "They will never love you back."

Reactions: 7 users
it's blatant corruption

news and public screams and cries about the expensive healthcare system

gov't reacts by cutting doctor reimbursements (prof fees)

while facility fees that go to admins and tycoons stay real juicy, and even go up (facility fees, the real problem)

when in reality, the reason we have 5-6fig hospital bills as the norm and honestly everything is just expensive is due to FACILITY fees, not the prof fees.

it's literally manipulation. they're attacking the little guys (the docs just trying to keep their lights on and outcompete a hospital salary) and framing it as if they're attacking the big guys.

this is undebatable imo, i'd love to hear an argument against this.

and then hospitals pay physicians on salary or give them contracts of lump sums disguised as *admin* positions or something (chief of pain, director of pain) which requires little work but is essentially kicking back some of the facility fee to the doc to keep them doing the procedures at their HOPD rather than asc/office. I know of docs personally that have this setup. but is CMS gonna go after a hospital system? never! how could they? they're a nonprofit! that pays dozens of people 7-8 fig salaries! (yes 8fig near me) how could they be doing anything wrong, as a nonprofit!

so in reality, the current direction it's going in will actually increase costs. more and more docs are moving to hopd procedures (overall increase in cost due to procedures being done at more expensive SOS) and hopping on salary (just a kickback) because the prof fees are getting cut, and hospitals can actually pay physicians a **** ton of money and still profit a ton because of the THICC facility fees to HOPD.

the question is, is somebody gonna do anything about it, before it's too late?

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
it's blatant corruption

while facility fees that go to admins and tycoons stay real juicy, and even go up (facility fees, the real problem)

when in reality, the reason we have 5-6fig hospital bills as the norm and honestly everything is just expensive is due to FACILITY fees, not the prof fees.

it's literally manipulation. they're attacking the little guys (the docs just trying to keep their lights on and outcompete a hospital salary) and framing it as if they're attacking the big guys.

and then hospitals pay physicians on salary or give them contracts of lump sums disguised as *admin* positions or something (chief of pain, director of pain) which requires little work but is essentially kicking back some of the facility fee to the doc to keep them doing the procedures at their HOPD rather than asc/office. I know of docs personally that have this setup. but is CMS gonna go after a hospital system? never! how could they? they're a nonprofit! that pays dozens of people 7-8 fig salaries! (yes 8fig near me) how could they be doing anything wrong, as a nonprofit!

so in reality, the current direction it's going in will actually increase costs. more and more docs are moving to hopd procedures (overall increase in cost due to procedures being done at more expensive SOS) and hopping on salary (just a kickback) because the prof fees are getting cut, and hospitals can actually pay physicians a **** ton of money and still profit a ton because of the THICC facility fees to HOPD.

@drusso is that you?

it's blatant corruption

Physician salaries account for 8% of healthcare costs.

Think about that.

They could literally pay us nothing and it wouldn’t even put a dent in healthcare costs.

Reactions: 11 users
can anyone look at the Fee schedule on ASIPP and report how much facility fee costs have gone up since 2020? access is allowed to the 2020 numbers, but not after.

facility fees went up across the board from 2018 to 2020. would like to see how they compare to 2021 to 2023.

the other side of the coin - more and more hospitals are closing, even with the perceived rise of hospital facility fees.

As I mentioned in the other thread, these cuts every year are becoming unsustainable.

How is it remotely fair to cut our pay by 4% every year when our costs are increasing by double that amount or more every year?

And unfortunately patients on federal insurance, Medicare , tricare, and Medicaid don’t understand how poorly their plans pay.

My most annoying patients are rich patients on Medicare who behave as if they are paying cash for everything instead of the government paying us basically Medicaid rates.

I plan to soon limit my federal government patients of all types to just a few per day.

Time spent on federal patients is becoming charity care for all of them, not just Medicaid patients
Does not matter if it's fair. All's fair. Outcomes are all that matters. If they cut your pay and medicare pts continue to be seen by doctors then they did great. Supply and demand. If they cut your pay and doctors stop accepting medicare and pts complain then that's another issue. The latter won't happen because most commercials will follow medicare rates and you have little leverage in negotiating if you're a little guy.

My wife as an attorney used to help with some budget thing in NYC. They would literally discuss things like what's the most you can tax people before you have negative consequences e.g. rich moving elsewhere. They try to tax right below that threshold.

Reactions: 3 users
Does not matter if it's fair. All's fair. Outcomes are all that matters. If they cut your pay and medicare pts continue to be seen by doctors then they did great. Supply and demand. If they cut your pay and doctors stop accepting medicare and pts complain then that's another issue. The latter won't happen because most commercials will follow medicare rates and you have little leverage in negotiating if you're a little
Perhaps we are nearing the point where patients start to complain. I’ve had multiple private physicians stop accepting Medicare in my area. There is a very large healthcare organization that does accept Medicare. However the wait times essentially makes it like they don’t accept the insurance.
Just seems like something has to give soon.

Either
1. Large healthcare organizations incentivize their staff to see more patients (unlikely)
2. More physicians join large healthcare organization (maybe if the pay and benefits are right)
3. More midlevelers are hired in pain to see the patients (esp in the private sector)

Getting rid of facility fees is never going to happen. The answer is for doctors to stop taking the easy money from the hospitals, take the risk and build ASCs, take back the power. And when insurers and patients get sick of paying HOPD rates, more will shift to physician-owned ASCs.

Reactions: 9 users
Perhaps we are nearing the point where patients start to complain. I’ve had multiple private physicians stop accepting Medicare in my area. There is a very large healthcare organization that does accept Medicare. However the wait times essentially makes it like they don’t accept the insurance.
Just seems like something has to give soon.
Possibly but I don't think so. There will always be people like me who would likely take in those pts even if I got paid less. Not for altruistic reasons by any means - I would just adapt my business plan around that.

Either
1. Large healthcare organizations incentivize their staff to see more patients (unlikely)
2. More physicians join large healthcare organization (maybe if the pay and benefits are right)
3. More midlevelers are hired in pain to see the patients (esp in the private sector)
I vote #3 as the likely scenario, especially as it's already happening. Most pts don't know or even care who or what they're seeing.

I don't care enough to be pro physician but during my last appointment, I requested to be seen by a physician, not an NP. What a hypocrite I am, lol.

More McMedicine is the only real answer. Higher volume utilizing lower cost providers. Yes, PAs and NPs doing pain procedures on govt insured patients. In PP I cant pay a doc 775k year with 10 weeks vacation so cant compete with the hospitals. When I am ready to slow down I doubt I could afford to hire an MD to pick up the slack.

Reactions: 3 users
More McMedicine is the only real answer. Higher volume utilizing lower cost providers. Yes, PAs and NPs doing pain procedures on govt insured patients. In PP I cant pay a doc 775k year with 10 weeks vacation so cant compete with the hospitals. When I am ready to slow down I doubt I could afford to hire an MD to pick up the slack.
Where are they paying $775k with 10 weeks vacation? Asking for a friend

Reactions: 11 users
Lol, I’m not sure all HOPD pain docs make 775K with 10 weeks of vacation these days??

Some docs also prioritize their professional freedom enough to work more for less $$ in PP.

The gas forums have a current thread on past compensation and there is a post by a pain doc stating that number as current salary. That may be an outlier but the trends are moving toward HOPd being a better financial deal.

Plus it sounds hard to find a really fair PP where the younger docs are equal partners resulting in real professional freedom..

is there a problem with paying HOPD docs a good salary?

"What we can't understand is the value proposition for the physicians in the long run," James said. "If they buy us, it is going to add a bunch of overhead and increase the cost of care." Wilmington stands out during a time of rapid consolidation in the healthcare industry, particularly among physician groups. Healthcare experts caution that healthcare costs will rise as more hospitals acquire physician groups.

"Hospital inpatient and outpatient departments typically receive greater Medicare reimbursement rates for services compared to ambulatory surgical centers and physician offices. The rates are higher for hospital-based care because the providers can bill for facility costs, whereas independent physicians bill Medicare at the non-facility rate. Therefore, Medicare spends more for hospital-based care. For example, a colonoscopy would cost Medicare 164 percent more if provided in a hospital outpatient department or ambulatory surgical center versus an independent physician’s office, researchers reported."

"Costs were 5.8 percent higher for patients treated by doctors in hospital- versus physician-owned practices, a new study of physician-hospital integration shows."

"The odds of a patient receiving an inappropriate MRI scan for lower back, knee or shoulder pain increased by more than 20% after an independent primary-care doctor transitioned to hospital employment, researchers found. Most patients were referred to the hospital where the physician was employed."

“Despite growth in value-based programs and the need to improve value in health care, physician compensation arrangements in health systems do not currently emphasize value,” said Rachel O. Reid, M.D., the study’s lead author and a physician policy researcher at RAND, a nonprofit research organization. “The payment systems that are most often in place are designed to maximize health system revenue by incentivizing providers within the system to deliver more services," Reid said in a statement."

so HOPD doctors are not allowed to make money, only PP docs.

thanks for the clarification.

fyi if it makes you feel better, i can guarantee you that my salary is significantly under 50% MGMA.

so HOPD doctors are not allowed to make money, only PP docs.

thanks for the clarification.

fyi if it makes you feel better, i can guarantee you that my salary is significantly under 50% MGMA.
Too bad, so sad. Work for Drusso and become a russilionaire.

he would be my employer. if HOPD employed docs cant make money, should private practice employed docs?

btw, what is the exchange rate of russiolions to US dollars? is it better than 2 bits or equal to a ducat?

"What we can't understand is the value proposition for the physicians in the long run," James said. "If they buy us, it is going to add a bunch of overhead and increase the cost of care." Wilmington stands out during a time of rapid consolidation in the healthcare industry, particularly among physician groups. Healthcare experts caution that healthcare costs will rise as more hospitals acquire physician groups.

"Hospital inpatient and outpatient departments typically receive greater Medicare reimbursement rates for services compared to ambulatory surgical centers and physician offices. The rates are higher for hospital-based care because the providers can bill for facility costs, whereas independent physicians bill Medicare at the non-facility rate. Therefore, Medicare spends more for hospital-based care. For example, a colonoscopy would cost Medicare 164 percent more if provided in a hospital outpatient department or ambulatory surgical center versus an independent physician’s office, researchers reported."

"Costs were 5.8 percent higher for patients treated by doctors in hospital- versus physician-owned practices, a new study of physician-hospital integration shows."

"The odds of a patient receiving an inappropriate MRI scan for lower back, knee or shoulder pain increased by more than 20% after an independent primary-care doctor transitioned to hospital employment, researchers found. Most patients were referred to the hospital where the physician was employed."

“Despite growth in value-based programs and the need to improve value in health care, physician compensation arrangements in health systems do not currently emphasize value,” said Rachel O. Reid, M.D., the study’s lead author and a physician policy researcher at RAND, a nonprofit research organization. “The payment systems that are most often in place are designed to maximize health system revenue by incentivizing providers within the system to deliver more services," Reid said in a statement."
my local MRI center charges $350 for a lumbar spine MRI. The hospital charges 5-10x that. There is no rationale except the suits and the lobbying(legal money laundering) money hospitals spend.

Reactions: 10 users
he would be my employer. if HOPD employed docs cant make money, should private practice employed docs?

btw, what is the exchange rate of russiolions to US dollars? is it better than 2 bits or equal to a ducat?
There is an RVU conversion.

Russo Vaginal Umami's.
Emotional attachment therapy and a support ferret required.

There is an RVU conversion.

Russo Vaginal Umami's.
Emotional attachment therapy and a support ferret required.
1657651166622.png

Youre not even allowed to ask for support ferret paperwork

Only if it has been de-scented. They can smell really bad if not washed regularly. They are members of the skunk family I think. They are super cute and smart otherwise.

Dogs yes, but not in procedure suite. Ferret no. Sugar glider- absolutely- and I have a patient who has 10 of them. Begging her to bring one in.
1657662788595.png

broadcasting my current vibe