CMS releases proposed 2009 physician fee schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nilf

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is the most recent CAP alert:

CMS Releases Proposed 2009 Physician Fee Schedule
The proposed 2009 Medicare physician payment fee schedule from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) will be published next week in the July 7, 2008 issue of the Federal Register.
The proposed rule, which will be open for public comment until August 29th, includes several points of interest to pathologists, including:

A proposed 5.4 percent negative update for physician services;
A proposal to create new G codes for the pathologic evaluation, interpretation, and reporting of saturation prostate biopsies;
A proposal to update prices for high cost supplies used in CMS’ practice expense methodology
A request from CMS for the RUC to review potentially over-valued services;
Two proposed alternatives to clarify exceptions to the anti-markup rule:
the first proposes to waive the anti-markup rule for physicians who conduct diagnostic testing services as part of a shared practice with a single physician or physician organization; or
the second proposes to clarify the existing anti-markup provision pertaining to what would constitute the “the office of the billing physician or other supplier” and other concepts such as “outside supplier”.
Confirmation that the cap on incentive payments under the Physician Quality Reporting Initiative (PQRI) has been removed;
Confirmation to again include the breast and colon cancer reporting measures in PQRI reporting in 2009.
Confirmation that the alternate reporting methods in the rule will not apply to pathologists.

1. How final is the 5.4% cut?
2. Does it apply across the board, or just for pathologists?
3. Is this negative update the effect of 10% cut for Medicare services which is being currently reconsidered by Congress?
4. What do the proposed changes in anti-markup provision mean in plain English?
5 What about the prostate and breast biopsy changes? What are the 'alternate reporting methods'?

Members don't see this ad.

I think this is for next year, they still haven't figured out this year. So who knows how much of this will actually be relevant when the time comes. The physician payment schedule is antiquated and they need to fix it - most quotes i read from competent politicians say that they do not want to cut physician salaries any more - they are taking too much heat for it. If I remember correct, there are supposed to be 5.4% cuts both next year and the year after, but this is apparently true most years and they change it close to the last minute anyway. I hate politicians. A lot.

I don't know what the anti markup stuff you quoted means - to me it suggests that they would allow pod labs. But if it's a shared practice wouldn't that mean the pathologist would have to be a partner? The second point about "the office of the billing physician" sounds to me like someone is trying to finesse the language to allow whatever pet project they want approved to get in there. Such as some congressman having a golfing buddy who runs a pod lab and wants it to stay. I may just be cynical here though. :rolleyes:

Maybe it is time for physicians to collectively tell medicare to F off by not seeing anymore medicare patients.

The over 65 year-old population would freak out and force the federal govt to stop trying to reduce physician pay year after year.

Can't the government go after teachers or air traffic controllers or IRS agents for a change.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like senate got off their asses and did something for us. Bill went thropugh to reverse payment cuts, repeal competitive bidding demo and extend Tc grandfather clause. And the crazy cowboy in the w. house may not be able to veto cuz enough votes to overturn him anyhow.

Looks like senate got off their asses and did something for us. Bill went thropugh to reverse payment cuts, repeal competitive bidding demo and extend Tc grandfather clause. And the crazy cowboy in the w. house may not be able to veto cuz enough votes to overturn him anyhow.

I hope the veto-proof majority stands...

What is the Tc grandfather clause?

TC grandfather clause from what i understand means that CMS will only reimburse hospitals and NOT independent labs for the Technical component when processing hospital patient specimens.

Actually, I think it's the opposite of that - I believe the grandfather clause continues to allow these independent labs to receive medicare payment for hospital specimens.

An older news release from CAP says without the grandfather clause independent labs would have to get money directly from hospitals for the specimens (which is not going to happen in many cases).

Yaah, well spotted. I was in a hurry when i wrote that. I meant to explain what the TC grandf. clause was aimed against. Thanks.

All of these laws and clauses and codicils and amendments and whatever bother the crap out of me. This is our government. I swear that 90% of health care is now paperwork. I had to fill out some insurance paperwork as part of being a fellow in order to bill for cases and it was seriously about 50 pages of legalese, assigning "representatives" and things like that.

It's a mess. I would say severe reform is badly needed except for the fact that severe reform would probably lead to even more paperwork and more complexity to build in "exceptions" and things like that.