CNA Experiences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charactercomic2

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This summer, I will be working as a Resident Attendant at a Rehabilitation Old Folks home, and they will hopefully be sponsoring my CNA classes during that same. Anyone have any experiences with this and want to give me any insights? I am currently a 1st year going into my second. Anything would be helpful :)

Members don't see this ad.

I was a CNA for 3 years, absolutely loved it. Definitely a unique experience as you do all the grunt work (washing patients, changing dirty adult diapers, body bagging, CPR in codes). Was brought up a lot in interviews and its a very cool perspective to be working from going from the bottom of the ladder (CNA) to the top (physician). Definitely not a job for anyone with a weak stomach though.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did this for a year. It's also great chance for you to be proactive and talk to attending and network. I love the little pearls they gave me and learning about their journey. It also gave me a chance to get shadowing experience too, very casual as I just show up on an off day. The job also offers you good exposure to the hospital setting in general. It's been really helpful as a 3rd year med student in rotations so far. One time a patient was crooked in bed and the team left the room, but it just triggered something in me and I ended up helping her straighten up. The attending noticed this and came back to help me, later citing how my previous hospital experiences set me apart from other members on the team. Patient care is helpful!

Reactions: 1 users