CNA or Phlebotomist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSUSpartan642

GO GREEN!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on which one would be more valuable?
Or maybe another that might be as quick to gain a certification and valuable?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd go with plebotomist if it were me. Hospitals, blood center, etc. are always looking for more vampires. Easy to find work, pretty good compensation, minimum incidence of poop and vomit cleaning at that job level.

I'd go with plebotomist if it were me. Hospitals, blood center, etc. are always looking for more vampires. Easy to find work, pretty good compensation, minimum incidence of poop and vomit cleaning at that job level.

I would rather be a Phlebotomist, but I had heard it was actually more difficult to find work. That was the reason I was looking towards CNA. Maybe this is incorrect?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say as a CNA you would have more patient contact and direct patient care. But phlebotomist is an easier and cleaner job.

phlebotomist for sure. you learn how to draw blood. CNAs are treated like dirt and given the crappiest work.

Most definitely a CNA---it shows more character and work ethic than a phlebotomist. It shows that you are willing to get down and dirty and that you really care about the patients that you are working with. It also shows that you know HOW to work with people rather than just in a lab which is MUCH more valuable to your medical school application. Trust me...speaking from experience.

My two cents. I worked as a phleb for two years, and for what it is worth no one mentioned it in any of my 5+ interviews. It seems to me like either one would be valued about the same by adcoms, and it doesn't seem to make or break your application.

The problem with finding phleb jobs is generally a lack of experience, after certification most people have around only 30 sticks. Finding a job at a plasma center is much easier and after a little experience a hospital job might be easier to land.

Most definitely a CNA---it shows more character and work ethic than a phlebotomist. It shows that you are willing to get down and dirty and that you really care about the patients that you are working with. It also shows that you know HOW to work with people rather than just in a lab which is MUCH more valuable to your medical school application. Trust me...speaking from experience.

I do far more than just work in a lab. I have to be able to work with all sorts of different people, from the patients up on the floors, to the outpatients, to the med techs in the lab, to the nurses and doctors treating patients up on the floors. I have to be able to deal with people who HATE me, just because of what I do. As a CNA, at least you can say you're helping them immediately. I hurt people, and then they get the benefit when the doctor comes in and sees the lab results. I had to draw one guy the other day that sat there and complained about how many times he had been stuck since he got in the hospital, and how bad the phlebotomists were, and everything else. And then I turned around and had to talk to a nurse who was bothered because she didn't have her test results yet (but, to be fair, the doctor was upset with her first) because it took us a while to get blood from the patient.

So don't go on about how phlebs don't know how to work with people just because they're based in the lab.

The problem with finding phleb jobs is generally a lack of experience, after certification most people have around only 30 sticks. Finding a job at a plasma center is much easier and after a little experience a hospital job might be easier to land.

Depends where you get your certification done. By the time I was done with my class, I had 50 sticks and 20 finger sticks. I then did a clinical in an outpatient clinic in a military hospital, and probably was drawing 40 patients a day by the end of my 4 week clinical.

And the turnover rate is pretty high for phlebs. I know my supervisors were looking for 2 people to fill in the holes in our schedule and the lead phleb actually said that she'd almost rather hire new people because they are easier to train than the people who have experience.

OP, at the hospital I work at, CNAs do a lot of clerical work. They're the ones that put in orders into the computer and stuff. They also do the dirty work like bed baths and whatnot, but to a lesser degree, I think. As a phleb, I do some clerical work, but my job is largely running through the hospital trying to get the blood the techs need to run their tests.

I think regardless of what you do, though, it's not the job that matters so much as what you get out of it. As either a CNA or a phleb, you'll get a lot of patient contact and you'll have to learn good customer service skills, both of which are a plus for medical school applications and working in the medical field in general.

Probably CNA if you are looking at this summer, phleb certification is longer and more expensive. Plus I know in my area (which is kinda rural I'll admit) there are always CNA openings and I've never seen any phleb, even at school. I even know of some places that hire as personal care assistants, which are basically uncertifiend CNAs.

Having said that I got a lot of informal phleb training last summer through my intership and a family friend and really enjoyed it. I was at the path lab in a hospital and a lot of the techs would let me do the blood draws while they supervised, and the outpatient phlebs basically let me practice on them when they got bored. :D But I'm getting a CNA cert this summer because 1) that's what's available in my area both for jobs and the class and 2) it's like a month of night classes and it's really cheap.

I have a few friends who are CNAs and they say it's really messy and hurts your back. But yeah, with phleb I've had people scream at me before I even touched them, which makes it hard. Basically it's personal preference plus what jobs are actually available wher you live/go to school.

You should do phelbotomy. I am a CNA and i'm looking for jobs in doctors offices /hospitals (as opposed to the nursing homes ive been working in) and being able to draw blood is a catch. Plus, the other qualifications with the job of a phlebotomist (like patient intake) is pretty much common sense after getting a run through the first few times.

However, if you are NEED of a job, nursing homes and assisted living facilities are ALWAYS looking for CNAs!!

Good luck !!!:)

I'd say neither will really help you much for med school, so go with phlebotomist. Phlebotomy will actually teach you a skill you will be able to use, at least in med school and residency.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say as a CNA you would have more patient contact and direct patient care. But phlebotomist is an easier and cleaner job.

Very true. Also, with little experience I'd say that it's easier to find a higher paying phlebotomy job (though higher paying CNA jobs do exist).

As far as being easier to find work as a CNA, this is mostly dependent on where you live - take a look at current job listings in your area. I'd say the only drawback with phlebotomy would be the time required for training - you'll have to look into that in your state/area. I've been working as a CNA for the past year, and it was nice to be able to start work right away after graduation (I took the course, which was very short, over winter break my senior year).

Good luck either way! Either choice is a good one in regards to med school (not for "preparing" you, but for impressing adcoms and having a valuable health care experience), so pick whichever is right for you.