CNA schooling?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kochanie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a sophomore premed student and my mom actually used to be a CNA. I have always wanted to do the schooling when I was in high school but never did.

If I have time during the summer/if I take a gap year, I would like to work as one.

I'm just kind of concerned I don't have the time since this summer is too busy (school/research/volunteering/abroad/etc) and next summer I hope to do some program in some other state..

I'm just wondering if admissions like the fact that you have the training?
The only time I can do it is when I take Orgo in the summer (so on weekends).

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mean just taking the CNA class but not actually working as a CNA?
From my experience, the class is absolutely nothing like actually being a CNA. I seriously doubt just taking the class will have any weight in the eyes of adcoms.

Just having the training itself won't help as much. Anyone can have EMT training under his/her belt, but not everyone actually did CPR at a mall to save a 50 y/o woman. The latter is what matters, not the training.

If you plan to take a gap year and won't be doing research, CNA might be a great option.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about having a temporary (summer) position as one next year? Would that be better than a summer research program elsewhere?

What about having a temporary (summer) position as one next year? Would that be better than a summer research program elsewhere?

I am uncertain what clinical experiences you've had thus far, but if you don't have any yet, I think it's good to do a temporary position in the summer, assuming you will be applying without gap years.

Usually in general, summers are spent for summer research programs, and long-term, clinical work/volunteering takes place several hours a week during the academic years. The reason is because research requires more focused, concentrated hours to be productive, so summer is a great opportunity to have some posters/abstracts at least towards the end of the summer. If it's prestigious like HHMI/NSF fellowship, it's even better. On the other hand, the research for several hours a week over some years won't be as productive and meaningful. For the clinical work like CNA during the summer, its impact on your application might not seem as significant, considering the caliber of potential ECs, like WHO policy research internship, an applicant could get during 3-4 months of free time. But again, if you need clinical experiences, it would be reasonable to do so.

If you plan to take gap years, the story might change. You will have more flexibilities on your schedule. My plan A would be research internships, and if they don't work, I would do CNA as a plan B.

The problem with doing a temporary position in the summer (along with school and some research) is that I haven't done the schooling yet, which is 10-16 weeks long. Should I make it a priority now (do the schooling now) along with college classes and other ec's?

If you are serious about the schooling you can take the course now and then work part time later.

In some states you can challenge the CNA exam and not have to take a class. That's what I did; it saves time and money. I just watched some Youtube videos for the skills part of the exam and the written portion is just common knowledge.

The problem with doing a temporary position in the summer (along with school and some research) is that I haven't done the schooling yet, which is 10-16 weeks long. Should I make it a priority now (do the schooling now) along with college classes and other ec's?

Again, it depends on how you want to spend time until you fill out your application. You don't have to feel entitled to do CNA, since there are other ways to get that clinical volunteering/experience, but I would still place summer research as my plan A.

I don't know if you have done so already, but check if your state allows you to take the CNA exam without a course. I live in Florida and was able to "challenge" the exam and get my certification without taking the course. That would save you a lot of time and money. Another thing to consider is that it can be really difficult to get a CNA job at a hospital without prior clinical experience. There is the possibility that you may have to work in a nursing home if you don't have some sort of connection to a hospital. I know working in a nursing home isn't very desirable for many pre-meds so make sure that you are open to that idea before you get your CNA.

Sure, I will check. I want to work as a CNA, I wanted to in high school too...

Nope, Illinois does not allow it . I'll try to do the schooling now (which will be hard since I don't live in Chicago). I should have thought about this earlier lol.

Is there any other course that takes less than 10-16 weeks. I know there are some in my state that take about a month.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure, but the time is still the same (about 80 theory and 40 clinical) so I would have to stop going to my classes. I'm looking at a few weekend ones that are very far away but may do it..

It's really admirable how you are so driven to be a CNA but don't sacrifice your undergraduate courses for it. Try to gain the licence and see how it goes.

I got my CNA licence in high school and renewed it by doing a nursing home job one. But although I have not been able to practice it often, my teachers and interviewers are often highly impressed by the fact that I have one at all. So yes, it will definitely be a huge plus.

Oh I won't and I thankfully have easier courses this quarter (and next).

I don't know if you have done so already, but check if your state allows you to take the CNA exam without a course. I live in Florida and was able to "challenge" the exam and get my certification without taking the course. That would save you a lot of time and money. Another thing to consider is that it can be really difficult to get a CNA job at a hospital without prior clinical experience. There is the possibility that you may have to work in a nursing home if you don't have some sort of connection to a hospital. I know working in a nursing home isn't very desirable for many pre-meds so make sure that you are open to that idea before you get your CNA.

Yes I am very open to anything, but I do have connections with hospitals (mom and brother work at one for a long time and I have volunteered at 2 (one of the same) so much that they love me lol).

Hello, I am a sophomore premed student and my mom actually used to be a CNA. I have always wanted to do the schooling when I was in high school but never did.

If I have time during the summer/if I take a gap year, I would like to work as one.

I'm just kind of concerned I don't have the time since this summer is too busy (school/research/volunteering/abroad/etc) and next summer I hope to do some program in some other state..

I'm just wondering if admissions like the fact that you have the training?
The only time I can do it is when I take Orgo in the summer (so on weekends).

Thank you
They could care less about training. They want experience.

Don't pursue a cna unless you like to spend your time spoon feeding people and wiping butts

Thank you, I'm trying to figure out how to get both done in limited time.:)

Don't pursue a cna unless you like to spend your time spoon feeding people and wiping butts
Well I know it's a part of it but I am hoping to get a little more than that out of it..

I would suggest getting an EMT instead of a CNA. I think it takes the same amount of time to complete and can be done at a local CC. But as an EMT you could drive a private ambulance for some time and then work (part-time maybe?) as an ER tech (which is awesome!).

ER Tech requires CNA training in my state. That's why I think it opens options (+ my mom can get me a job as one no problem).

I did research, volunteering, tutoring, and TAing during undergrad and then after graduation (2012) went on to do the CNA course. I had issues getting my MCAT to where it needed to be so in the meanwhile, I took the CNA course and have been working at a nursing home. I will start medical school in July/August.

During my med school interviews, I have been asked questions about working as an aid at EVERY single one. Most questions relate to dealing with difficult patients, handling workplace conflict, understanding teamwork in healthcare, or coping with illness and death.

I think admissions personnel like that students are willing to take on such a demanding and physical job to improve their bedside manner and actually work with patients. Working as a CNA is a great experience and it really makes you appreciate every person in the medical profession.