CNA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G.A. Oats

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering entering a CNA program to gain experience in medicine. What do you guys think the pros and cons are? I did a double major in the humanities and psychology. Now I am pursuing pre-med and will take the MCATs in two years. I am also starting biomedical research. I gpa is around 3.5. Any comments/suggestions you can provide will be much appreciated.

GA Oats

Members don't see this ad.

Oh dear GOD!!!!
CNA's do the s*** work. Don't put yourself through that, oh the humanity! As a CNA you will be lucky enough to..."make beds, clean up feces, clean up urine, make beds, clean up vomit, see things that will make you puke, get no respect, get 0 cash, smell awful things, be around awful people, and clean up poop again" Sounds like a nice life don't it?
Find something else.

G.A.Oats:

I worked as a CNA last summer, and Captain Freedom is right to a certain extent. You do have to clean and do all that S**t, but I thought it was an excellent experience. I got a greater appreciation for the work that CNA and nurses do at care centers. It is a great opportunity to work one-on-one with "patients" and help them throughout there day. Believe me they are very appreciatvie of the HELP you give them. Isn't that the golden answer to the question when asked, "Why you want to be a doctor?" TO HELP PEOPLE. I did it last summer and plan on doing it again. I say give it a chance. It is only for a summer, and I think you would be amazed at how much you might like it.

Go Hawkeyes

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't need any money, then your best bet is to do VOLUNTEER WORK at a local hospital. You must have good grades, be nice with people, and commit for a min 6 months.
Work is light, more like an "Angel of Mercy" and keeping the patients company during painful cancer treatments, helping them with dinner & TV, reading books, writing cards..
That is exactly what my wife did for 1.5 years, after her Premed/ during her BS-Biology. The experience was priceless, both on her resume, and in making up her mind to become a Doctor....
Well, that was history..
My Darling wife is now an MS-3, writing the USMLE..
Good luck to you..

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies. I am aware of the quite 'basic' aspects of the work. Given that I'd do ANYTHING to gain medical and patient care skills, do you think the work will be worthwhile in helping me to become a good physician? Or is CNA simply too far removed from the work of a doctor? Also, do you know if CNA is a ideal starting position for working toward positions that entail more responsibilities while being a pre-med working at hospitals?

G.A. Oats

GA

I worked in EMS as an EMT-Basic for over a year before starting a job as a Tech in a local ER (same as a CNA) and about halfway through my paramedic training, decided I wanted to go pre-med.

Anywho.. take 2-3 months, (over summer, at night, whatever) get your EMT-Basic card, and get a job working 911 in your area.

The experience you will gain there is so much better than any CNA position you could possibly dream of, for one reason, as an EMT, you will be in charge of that patient, you will make the descisions, and be held accountable for them, very similar to your future as a physician. Dont get me wrong, being a CNA/Tech/etc is good experience, but it doesn't even come close to comparing to actually having your own patients.

just my two cents
smile.gif

I have worked as a CNA and an EMT. I made great money working as a CNA...$14.00 per hour. I thought it was a great experience. The actual job description depends on where you work as a CNA. You can work in a hospital, nursing home, or home-care. The things that I learned doing the job will stick with me forever. It also gave me a great way to make contacts in the hospital and to work closely with physicians. I was able to get phone numbers and office hours. It also is easier to gain shadowing experience if you have worked with patients and have an understanding of patients' rights and things like that.

------------------
Josh Hazelton
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
"D.O. Wannabe"