Hemichordate

Peds
10+ Year Member
May 5, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think in EK it said that most of the carbon dioxide in the body is in the form of bicarbonate ion- is that correct? So where in the body would carbon dioxide NOT be in biocarbonate ion form?

RogueUnicorn

rawr.
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
yes it's mostly bicard. there is trace dissolved CO2, and the bicarb ion itself can participate in various reactions unrelated to respiration, if i know this correctly.

G1SG2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I think in EK it said that most of the carbon dioxide in the body is in the form of bicarbonate ion- is that correct? So where in the body would carbon dioxide NOT be in biocarbonate ion form?
CO2 is found in the blood in three forms: in physical solution, as bicarbonate ion, and in carbamino compounds (combined with hemoglobin and other proteins). It exists mainly in the form of bicarbonate ion.

knightstale4

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2007
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
CO2 exists in its gaseous form when it is at alveolus, where it is expelled during exhalation. It also exists as CO2 when bound and transported by hemoglobin. Finally, there also exists some dissolved CO2 in the plasma. If you want a more detailed explanation, message me :)

May 8, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
So if the blood gets too acidic, the bicarbonate binds to H+ forming carbonic acid which decomposes?

What's the reaction for when the body gets too basic?
You secret HCO3- in your urine and your respiratory rate decreases.

G1SG2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I know the kidney will excrete H+ when the blood is too acidic. Does it excrete HCO3- as well?

thanks
steve
Yeah, it does if the blood becomes too basic.