CO2 in the body

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hemichordate

Peds
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think in EK it said that most of the carbon dioxide in the body is in the form of bicarbonate ion- is that correct? So where in the body would carbon dioxide NOT be in biocarbonate ion form?

Members don't see this ad.

yes it's mostly bicard. there is trace dissolved CO2, and the bicarb ion itself can participate in various reactions unrelated to respiration, if i know this correctly.

I think in EK it said that most of the carbon dioxide in the body is in the form of bicarbonate ion- is that correct? So where in the body would carbon dioxide NOT be in biocarbonate ion form?

CO2 is found in the blood in three forms: in physical solution, as bicarbonate ion, and in carbamino compounds (combined with hemoglobin and other proteins). It exists mainly in the form of bicarbonate ion.

CO2 exists in its gaseous form when it is at alveolus, where it is expelled during exhalation. It also exists as CO2 when bound and transported by hemoglobin. Finally, there also exists some dissolved CO2 in the plasma. If you want a more detailed explanation, message me :)

Members don't see this ad :)