MD & DO co'21 Residency Panic thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kraskadva

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Preemptively opening this before the VSAS scrum reopens tomorrow morning and the co2021 finds out whether we'll be able to do anything resembling an audition before we apply.

Best of luck to all. May the odds be ever in your favor.

Topic for discussion -
ERAS applications in the time of COVID: The trials and tribulations

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
c/o 2021 gets shafted harder than anyone i've known

Reactions: 7 users
You coulda just titled it c/o 2021 panic thread tbh

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Almost all of my planned auditions aren't taking students, and the ones that are require some additional letters from my coordinator so I guess I'll have to wait? This is a fiasco and we get booted before you can get any sort of bearings of the situation.

to echo: AAAAHHHHH

Reactions: 5 users
AAAAAAAHHHH

edit: Maybe we should just have a screaming thread. That might be cathartic.

Reactions: 8 users
AAAAAAAHHHH

edit: Maybe we should just have a screaming thread. That might be cathartic.
Ask and you shall receive (sometimes...)

Reactions: 1 user
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I am trying to decipher if this means 1 EM rotation in total or 1 EM away-rotation in total.

if it's 1 EM away-rotation, then would I still be able to rotate in my local ER just to learn and pick-up things, or to practice before my away-rotation is to come up

I am trying to decipher if this means 1 EM rotation in total or 1 EM away-rotation in total.

if it's 1 EM away-rotation, then would I still be able to rotate in my local ER just to learn and pick-up things, or to practice before my away-rotation is to come up

This is my exact question. I have a rotation set-up with a preceptor at a local ED in July, and then an audition with my home rotation in September. Not sure how this would effect my ability to do the former even though I would only be getting a residency-based SLOE from the latter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty sure it’s one total EM rotation. It even says “typically at their home institution.”

Everything is worded as "applicants should", etc. Its all vague and there's no hard cap so I doubt it really will change all that much

Almost all of my planned auditions aren't taking students, and the ones that are require some additional letters from my coordinator so I guess I'll have to wait? This is a fiasco and we get booted before you can get any sort of bearings of the situation.

to echo: AAAAHHHHH
Did you email them first or did they email you with the new requirements? I've heard nothing from my auditions.

Did you email them first or did they email you with the new requirements? I've heard nothing from my auditions.
I emailed a couple first that told me they aren't taking students. Others that I had my eye on but hadnt opened yet before VSAS closed, when I logged in today to the site and went to apply, they had additional requirements than previously

Anyone else in the VSAS waiting room rn? How long has this been taking people to get in?

Anyone else in the VSAS waiting room rn? How long has this been taking people to get in?
little over an hour for me but once you're in move quick because it kicked me after 20-30mins

little over an hour for me but once you're in move quick because it kicked me after 20-30mins
There's a time limit? That's insane. I hope I have all the documents I need to upload already saved on my computer. Thanks for letting me know!

Pretty sure it’s one total EM rotation. It even says “typically at their home institution.”

I was able to get in contact with the president of EMRA who stated that EM rotations that are not residency based are perfectly fine as they are not considered an audition rotation, even if you have a separate audition lined up. She said they'll be addressing this question soon.

There's a time limit? That's insane. I hope I have all the documents I need to upload already saved on my computer. Thanks for letting me know!
I got booted, sat back in the room for a while, and got my stuff together while I waited, then finished up the second time

not sure if there's an official time limit, but I've heard of others experiencing similar issues. I had a lot of tech difficulties uploading new stuff as well, it's just kinda a mess rn

Everything is worded as "applicants should", etc. Its all vague and there's no hard cap so I doubt it really will change all that much

Pretty sure if your ERAS application has more than 1 SLOE you'll be penalized unless you have an extremely good reason. I'm about to cancel my 2nd and 3rd aways and will just go with the one audition which begins next month.

Pretty sure if your ERAS application has more than 1 SLOE you'll be penalized unless you have an extremely good reason. I'm about to cancel my 2nd and 3rd aways and will just go with the one audition which begins next month.
I'm not applying EM but read the statement. Its super vague and doesn't give the impression that it is a mandatory thing. To me it reads like a 'suggestion' and a PR move to show that they're flexible.

I'm applying neuro and they've yet to release a statement (at least that I've seen) so who knows what this bloodbath of a match will be like

I'm not applying EM but read the statement. Its super vague and doesn't give the impression that it is a mandatory thing. To me it reads like a 'suggestion' and a PR move to show that they're flexible.

I'm applying neuro and they've yet to release a statement (at least that I've seen) so who knows what this bloodbath of a match will be like

You're absolutely right that it's not mandatory for EM applicants. That being said, I think programs will look at a person who knowingly sought out more than one SLOE as "not a team player", given the situation and the fact that programs are being told to just accept one SLOE this year.
I think it would be shooting yourself in the foot for an applicant not to follow the consensus statement recommendations.

Reactions: 1 users
You're absolutely right that it's not mandatory for EM applicants. That being said, I think programs will look at a person who knowingly sought out more than one SLOE as "not a team player", given the situation and the fact that programs are being told to just accept one SLOE this year.
I think it would be shooting yourself in the foot for an applicant not to follow the consensus statement recommendations.

by the way this is all pure conjecture. this is being stemmed from all the academic places run by a younger attendings with a medtwitter presence.

Is there any way to search for virtual rotation experiences for VSAS? I know some schools are setting that kind of thing up. On twitter I saw UCSD plastics had done something like that. I'm applying to IR and wanted to see if any such rotations were available.

Is there any way to search for virtual rotation experiences for VSAS? I know some schools are setting that kind of thing up. On twitter I saw UCSD plastics had done something like that. I'm applying to IR and wanted to see if any such rotations were available.
I believe they instructions they gave were just to search “virtual.”

Seems pretty clear to me. It literally says students with a home program should not do an away rotation.

I believe they instructions they gave were just to search “virtual.”
But there's no way to search by keywords like virtual right? You just have to go through the list of all electives for your specialty and see if something pops up?

Seems pretty clear to me. It literally says students with a home program should not do an away rotation.

it doesn't seem clear to me, what are you constituting a home program? because one of us with a very similar question reached out to the EMRA president about this same question and she said that rotating at the small ER (that doesn't have a residency program) does not count as an audition/away so it's fair game

I think what is meant by a "home program" is an ER residency which is part of the medical school........such as Parkland Memorial Hospital's ER residency being part of UTSW Medical school. A small community ER without a residency doesn't count as only ER residencies are able to generate official SLOEs for students doing Sub-I's/audition rotations.

By the way.....for anyone looking for Emergency auditions, I just canceled one at UPMC Pinnacle for July and another at Western Michigan/Stryker for November-December......if they don't have a wait list you might be able to snag one of those auditions if you act fast.

But there's no way to search by keywords like virtual right? You just have to go through the list of all electives for your specialty and see if something pops up?
You can actually. I just did, however, and it only turned up twelve results across all specialties, so not sure how much utility there is in it:hungover:

On ERAS work experiences, is it the norm to fill out the non-mandated parts? Like supervisor, hours/week, description, reason for leaving ..?
I did, but some others at my school didn't. We all matched.

Reactions: 2 users
Where my urology homies at???

Why am I just now seeing this? My god this is going to be so stressful.

• Haha
is this now the official class of 21' ERAS thread

I just finished an optho rotation and now Im ohaving second thoughts. I was pretty set on DR and was gonna try to do ESIR, but I loved my optho rotation. The cases I went to were all interesting and they have so many options for treatment in clinic. I feel like it’s kinda late in the game now and I’m not super competitive. Plus no away rotations would hurt. Anyone else thinking optho or having any problems choosing a specialty?

I just finished an optho rotation and now Im ohaving second thoughts. I was pretty set on DR and was gonna try to do ESIR, but I loved my optho rotation. The cases I went to were all interesting and they have so many options for treatment in clinic. I feel like it’s kinda late in the game now and I’m not super competitive. Plus no away rotations would hurt. Anyone else thinking optho or having any problems choosing a specialty?
Not ophtho but I’ve been having serious thoughts for months about what specialty to do because of the rotations that were lost due to COVID. It’s hard to tell without actually experiencing them firsthand. It’s late but seeing that you really enjoyed ophtho, you could try to dual apply

Not ophtho but I’ve been having serious thoughts for months about what specialty to do because of the rotations that were lost due to COVID. It’s hard to tell without actually experiencing them firsthand. It’s late but seeing that you really enjoyed ophtho, you could try to dual apply
I’ve thought about dual applying and might consider that. Idk if I’ll be able to get an optho letter by the time apps are due especially if I can’t find an away. But dual applying might be the best choice

DO student applying anesthesia this year. AHHH.

DO student applying IM.

Debating applying FM as well but I don't think i can get enough FM LORs.

DO student applying IM.

Also DO applying IM. I want to do primary care so I wouldn’t hate an FM residency, but I only want to see adults. So I decided to apply broadly to IM for the Match, but know that I would apply to some FM in SOAP if I didn’t match.

DO student applying IM.

I had one FM LOR. You generally don’t need more than that.

Honestly mad at myself every day for taking a research year. My specialty (ob/gyn) isn't terribly competitive but I had a surprise high risk pregnancy. I wish I would have soldiered on, rearranged things and interviewed. Now I have no away rotations. I was counting on my extra publications and great away rotations to make up for this red flag, but now I may struggle. I have good scores and multiple pubs, but now, without away rotations, my research year will just be a red flag.

• Sad