Coaching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fghgf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
By the time the application period comes around, I will have 2 years experience of volunteer, full-time coaching in football at my former high school in addition to one year of experience playing at the collegiate level. How favorably is something like this looked upon when applying to medical schools, however medically irrelevant it may be?

Members don't see this ad.

fghgf said:
By the time the application period comes around, I will have 2 years experience of volunteer, full-time coaching in football at my former high school in addition to one year of experience playing at the collegiate level. How favorably is something like this looked upon when applying to medical schools, however medically irrelevant it may be?

I don't think that any one of us can truly comment on whether or not the fact that you coach football is going to be looked upon as being exceptionally better than any other of your EC's because the only people that eventually have a say in the matter are the Ad Coms. However, even though you may think that it is medically irrelevant, the fact that you stuck with something for such a long time, worked in an environment that promoted team building as well as leadership skills are all things that you can use as a medical student and physician. Besides, your EC's don't have to all be medically related. I personally think that the fact that you have been coaching football for more than two years is more interesting than if you had just volunteered at several different hospitals performing the same mundane tasks.

It will make for an interesting conversation in the interview. Believe it or not doctors like football too. :D