• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Cocaine?

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2002
Las Vegas, NV
  1. Attending Physician
I'm gonna make a statement based on the rigorous scientific standard of something I've noticed:

Seems like cocaine is popping up on the drug screens more often.

I see meth all day everyday but coke is unusual. Some of the nurses were speculating that it was because the stimulus checks came out. I kinda doubt that just based on the population I see. You have to have an address to get a check. I think it's because the closure of all the nightclubs has killed the powder coke market. I suspect the dealers are cutting coke into the meth to augment the street supply. When I see someone pop for coke they usually have meth too. Starting to see a lot of speedballers as well with coke and heroin.

Anyone else seeing coke or club drugs showing up outside the usual crowd?

May 3, 2004
  1. Attending Physician
I'm gonna make a statement based on the rigorous scientific standard of something I've noticed:

I see meth all day everyday but coke is unusual. Some of the nurses were speculating that it was because the stimulus checks came out. I kinda doubt that just based on the population I see. You have to have an address to get a check. I think it's because the closure of all the nightclubs has killed the powder coke market. I suspect the dealers are cutting coke into the meth to augment the street supply. When I see someone pop for coke they usually have meth too. Starting to see a lot of speedballers as well with coke and heroin.

We've always had lots of cocaine in my area. Lots of + UDS and my patients freely admit to using it. I actually have less pts admit to meth than I do cocaine or crack. I haven't noticed any change since the stimulus checks. Heroin, fentanyl and cocaine/crack are the big players here.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

BoardingDoc

Don't worry. I've got my towel.
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2010
  1. Attending Physician
Coke is definitely coming back

Super common in my shop, 50/50 mix of opioids and often seen together.
Weird. My area is very different. Tons of EtOH abuse, moderate amount of opioids (a mishmash of oxy, fent, heroin), almost no meth or coke at all. I've literally seen 1 guy on meth in the past 6 months. Maybe 2 on cocaine. Lots of everything else I mentioned though.

pollyspockets

5+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2015
  1. Attending Physician
I see tons of cocaine, although it skews older with the 50s-60s crowd in my area. The amount of times I have to give a “stop using cocaine or your heart is going to explode” talk is staggering.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
About the Ads

NITRAS

2+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2018
  1. Attending Physician
I see tons of cocaine, although it skews older with the 50s-60s crowd in my area. The amount of times I have to give a “stop using cocaine or your heart is going to explode” talk is staggering.

Admitted someone a couple weeks ago who was 72. 72 friggen years old and still doing cocaine.

Dang dude. Got great genes. . . . could live to a hundred probably if he had half a brain between his ears.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

wareagle726

2+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2016
Right where I wanna be
  1. Attending Physician
I think there are multiple crack trees in our city. I admitted 3 this evening to the coke chest pain obs pathway. We only have one available ED obs pathway available...and it's for cocaine chest pain. I had a 72yo gmom last week who told me she got crack in her mother's day basket of goodies.

• Haha
Nov 24, 2002
SCREW IT!
When I trained in Detroit we regularly had 80+ year olds coming in with cocaine induced chest pain and I mean like multiple times a week.
When I was a med student, back in 2001, I saw a pt in Jersey City, who was 77 years old, and still shooting heroin (regular, addict stuff, not "chipping").

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

ShockIndex

Toxically Masculine
Nov 21, 2019
  1. Attending Physician
I remember my field training officer telling me back in the mid-90s that he recalled the day crack arrived in Richmond back in 1982. Jim Simone (aka Super Cop) said something similar in passing when I was a resident at Metro in Cleveland about 15 years ago. If you talk to old school homicide detectives, it was like someone flipped a switch and the murder rate tripled over night. They hadn’t seen that many young bodies at one time since Vietnam.

I suspect that some of those addicts started using 35 years ago and somehow managed to dodge the bullets, MIs, and brain bleeds. Meanwhile, I run every day and will probably die of COVID...go figure.

ThetisAntithesis

2+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2018
  1. Medical Student
Once had an older lady I sent for a colonoscopy, it was cancelled because she had used cocaine the morning of.
She came back screaming at me "Why didn't you tell me I couldn't use it before the procedure?!!"
Me: Uh, wait what?! First of all....

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

Saddleshoes

10+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2007
  1. Dentist

Just as the logistics supply chain has been disrupted for toilet paper, baking supplies, meat, sympathy cards and cotton cloth due to COVID restrictions.

The same is true of the street drug logistics chain. Normal supply routes have vanished. Demand for product has changed with the change in the customer's routine and financial status. Cross border restrictions have changed drastically.

Just as we have learned to get creative and use different methods and resources to go on with life. The street drug user is going to different methods and resources to go on with life.

I don't know about you guys, but in my world, the gang bangers are having a shooting war right now. I suspect it is directly related to this disruption in the supply chain.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.