Code of conduct violations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pirateslifeforme

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So long story short, my freshman year I was caught with alcohol in my dorm and received a write up and had to write a paper. My sophomore year in the dorms I fell asleep in a dorm that was next to mine that I thought was mine and the RA caught me and wrote me up and I had to go to counseling through the university. I was never arrested or police were never involved. I was very cooperative in both scenarios and it didn't seem like much of a big deal at the time.

I know with AADSAS there is a section about code of conduct issues and I know I am 99% sure I am going to have to let them know and explain the nature of them. I consider myself a pretty competitive applicant I have 3.75+ science and overall gpa and a 20 AA and have a good amount of shadowing, volunteering, EC etc. How much is this going to affect my application? This has been really stressing me lately with the cycle coming up, I figure this is very likely to be brought up in an interview. But the point I need to make is that I need to take personal responsibility for my actions and try to convey how it has changed me and such. I would just love to hear from some people on their opinion and our experiences. I personally know people who got interviews and acceptances after getting misdeamnors regarding alcohol and drinking but I know since mine were through the school I was curious. Any criticism and advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't consider you a "pretty competitive applicant" at all, at least for dental school standards nowadays. I had a 3.9 and a higher DAT but only landed a couple interviews or so.

Btw, how did you just come about sleeping in someone else's dorm? That sounds very strange.

I don't consider you a "pretty competitive applicant" at all, at least for dental school standards nowadays. I had a 3.9 and a higher DAT but only landed a couple interviews or so.

Btw, how did you just come about sleeping in someone else's dorm? That sounds very strange.
I was intoxicated and entered somebody else's dorm room that was near mine that I guess I thought was mine.
And considering that a 3.75+ gpa is above the average for acceptance for most non ivy league schools I would say that is pretty competitive GPA-wise but I may be wrong :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I was intoxicated and entered somebody else's dorm room that was near mine that I guess I thought was mine

If my dentist had an incident like this in the past, it would definitely sway me towards a different practitioner. Accept it and move on, OP. Nothing you can do now.

I don't consider you a "pretty competitive applicant" at all, at least for dental school standards nowadays.

3.75 and 20AA not competitive enough for you? Might be competitive enough for more than 2 programs.

If my dentist had an incident like this in the past, it would definitely sway me towards a different practitioner. Accept it and move on, OP. Nothing you can do now.

Really?

Words of encouragement OP, I was cited for underage consumption in dorms too, didn't have any issues with getting multiple interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
OP don't listen to the troll in here. You'll be fine for your application cycle, but make sure your incidents don't affect your level of professionalism. It doesn't sound like they do.

Reactions: 3 users
So long story short, my freshman year I was caught with alcohol in my dorm and received a write up and had to write a paper. My sophomore year in the dorms I fell asleep in a dorm that was next to mine that I thought was mine and the RA caught me and wrote me up and I had to go to counseling through the university. I was never arrested or police were never involved. I was very cooperative in both scenarios and it didn't seem like much of a big deal at the time.

I know with AADSAS there is a section about code of conduct issues and I know I am 99% sure I am going to have to let them know and explain the nature of them. I consider myself a pretty competitive applicant I have 3.75+ science and overall gpa and a 20 AA and have a good amount of shadowing, volunteering, EC etc. How much is this going to affect my application? This has been really stressing me lately with the cycle coming up, I figure this is very likely to be brought up in an interview. But the point I need to make is that I need to take personal responsibility for my actions and try to convey how it has changed me and such. I would just love to hear from some people on their opinion and our experiences. I personally know people who got interviews and acceptances after getting misdeamnors regarding alcohol and drinking but I know since mine were through the school I was curious. Any criticism and advice is appreciated.

As long as you are up-front about your past and show remorse you will be fine.

If it has to be explained to you after already going through the whole process that getting into dental school is about a lot more than just GPA and DAT scores, then it is no surprise that you only received a couple interview invitations.

Reactions: 6 users
You'll be ok. I'm sure A LOT of people who were cited for various minor incidents in undergrad get into grad school every single year. You possessed it and fell asleep drunk in someone else's room. It's not like you harmed someone, destroyed property, or did anything really stupid.

Just be ready to give the typical cliché answer about accepting the consequences and learning from mistakes

Don't really have much to add but 3.75 and 20AA is definitely competitive if you are not socially challenged lol.

If it has to be explained to you after already going through the whole process that getting into dental school is about a lot more than just GPA and DAT scores, then it is no surprise that you only received a couple interview invitations.

Strong reading comprehension skills. Notice the qualifying phrase there? I actually received more than a couple. Do you see it? Good job!

And getting into dental school is a lot more than just stats?! Wow, that insight... Tell me more. I mean, I already got in and all but this is some enlightening stuff, broski.

Last edited:
Strong reading comprehension skills. Notice the qualifying phrase there? I actually received more than a couple. Do you see it? Good job!

And getting into dental school is a lot more than just stats?! Wow, that insight... Tell me more. I mean, I already got in and all but this is some enlightening stuff, broski.
Just wondering, how many acceptances did you get again?

Request your official transcripts and see if there's anything on there that notes behavior misconduct (I doubt there is). I honestly don't think it's something you need to mention because it's not academically related (cheating etc) and it won't show up on a background check. You are only hurting yourself by including it.

Sent from my SM-G935T using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users

Good one. You're totally the first person on SDN to pull the "reading comprehension skills" quip.... And yes, as a matter of fact, they are very strong.

Communication is a two-way street. In your first post, you judged the competitiveness of OP's future application on GPA and DAT scores alone without any context, and then you said "I had a 3.9 and a higher DAT but only landed a couple interviews or so." Now you say you actually received more than a couple. How do you have a couple "or so" interview invitations? "Gee...was it two, or was it three? Or was it zero? I don't wemembur!" And now you keep re-editing your posts to the point that no one can really respond to you. Come on.

I'm not going to discuss my credentials. It should be self-evident that a current dental student has at least some insight to share with you.

Last edited:
Police found marijuana paraphernalia in my dorm and I got accepted with a lower gpa and 20AA. You'll have to admit it. Most interviews will want to talk about it. Just own up to it and have something thoughtful to say if asked. Needless to say, Colorado turned down my application.

Please tell me you're not going to UTSD so I dont have to drop out...

Ask your school's office of conduct if you have anything on your record. If they say yes, then it is 100% that you are gonna have to write that on your aadsas application!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You must've had a pretty rough RA to have written you up for falling asleep in somebody else's room on the sauce. Just curious, how did you get in there? Aren't the doors automatically locked when you leave?