Code Word

Started by Scrofula
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Scrofula

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know how to interpret code words in the Dean's Letter? I have two that I am suspicious of:

1. "pleased to recommend"
2. "scrofula is a most excellent candidate"

The first sounds so-so but I'm not even sure that's part of the code. Good way to make medical students paranoid! 😕
 
our school uses three phrases
recommend c enthusiasm ---> top 25%
recommend c confidence ---> middle 50%
recommend --> last 25%

Has anyone heard of any stories of bad deans letters?

I would love to hear the various stories ( urban legend or not 😉 )
 
Hi:

Why do they use such code words. Don't they have to put your ranking in the dean's letter?

M-
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Originally posted by Magree:
•Hi:

Why do they use such code words. Don't they have to put your ranking in the dean's letter?

M-•

At my school, when you fill out the form to request the Dean's letter and where you want it sent, they ask you to check a box for whether or not you want your ranking put in the letter or not. But I don't know if that is standard everywhere, or just a few places.

Billie