Cofused with career choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dasani

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am about to start my 4th year of med school and I have equal interest in two fields, anesthesia and opthalmology. I like both equally for different reasons. I've read a lot of previous discussions on each regarding practice and lifestyle, but I still cannot decide. I've shadowed people in each field and like them both.
I have very good chances to get into either but I just want to be making the right decision as far as what would be best for my future. Everybody says do what interests you but they both do.
I've already gotten an opinion from some optho residents but I really would like to hear from any of you about which of these choices would provide the best career for someone, as far as future, lifestyle, money, diversity, etc. What would you all do?
I know most of you are in anesthesia so may be biased but I really would appreciate your opinions because I've been losing sleep over this decision process and have worn out my family with questions.
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Having had no real exposure to optho, I can't speak from personal experience, but I do know that my co-chief at Southwestern transferred out of optho and has never regretted that decision. His primary reason was an aversion to clinic and the desire to be able to manage ICU patients while still earning considerable coin doing general and cardiac anesthesia.

After perusing the optho boards, it also looks like they have similar issues with optometrists. Would leave it up to the optho posters to comment about that and the job market.

I also seriously considered ophthalmology for some time. It has a ton of pluses in working with really cool gadgets, limited number of patient complaints, and the ability to immediately look at the pathology of the patient. However, I was really concerned about the job market. Talking with senior residents, they said the market was pretty strangled. Just look on the AAO website for job postings. With anesthesia, you are allowed much more mobility of your practice with little overhead. I think once you established a practice in ophthalmology, you would have a pretty hard time leaving it (i.e. money invested, establishing a patient base, etc.) I think that you probably will put in more hours per week with anesthesia, but I don't think you can go too wrong with either field.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do anesthesiologists actually move around like that, from place to place?
Would you recommend me applying to both and go with the one that I get a spot in? I still don't know what I would do if I mathced in both, though.
Would you still choose anesthesia if you matched in optho also?

To be brutally honest, you should choose anesthesia over ophthal. Reason being is that reimbursement for cataracts is forever going down and everything around is going up. Office rent, staffing and all the **** you gotta put up with employees, Insurance, supplies and the list goes on and on. Overhead nowadays is a killer and I wouldn't go in to any office base practice because of this except one-- the holy grail of medicine-- Plastic surgery. I don't care if you like eyes better than gas now; in 20 years of doing the same monotony every day, the headaches of runnin a profitable specialty office will wither your soul and you will be a shell of your former self. --My 2 centavos

zippy2u said:
I don't care if you like eyes better than gas now; in 20 years of doing the same monotony every day, the headaches of runnin a profitable specialty office will wither your soul and you will be a shell of your former self.

[DEVIL'S ADVOCATE]

Some could make a similar argument about private practice anesthesiology...

[/DEVIL'S ADVOCATE]

-Skip

To me, the biggest difference between the fields is office vs. hospital based. I think both fields will always have the technology and procedures that would leave many content. As for money, wouldn't Lasix be totally lucrative. I predict that one day, based on the continued safety and affordability of the procedure, everyone will be getting it.

I can get you generic lasix for about 82 cents per 40 mg. Are you interested? I am not a surgeon but I have provided lasix many times.

Aloha Kid said:
To me, the biggest difference between the fields is office vs. hospital based. I think both fields will always have the technology and procedures that would leave many content. As for money, wouldn't Lasix be totally lucrative. I predict that one day, based on the continued safety and affordability of the procedure, everyone will be getting it.

Lasik would really help my vision. Lasix would make me pee.

maximuum said:
It has a ton of pluses in working with really cool gadgets, limited number of patient complaints, and the ability to immediately look at the pathology of the patient.

I heard that opthos are the most likely physicians to be assaulted by their patients. I guess when you do screw up...

Willamette

My best advice is to do a transitional medicine year and keep your options open. The medicine year can help you transition into either of the two fields that you are considering.

bustbones26 said:
My best advice is to do a transitional medicine year and keep your options open. The medicine year can help you transition into either of the two fields that you are considering.

Complete more rotations in both specialties. They have very little in common, if you ask me. Greater exposure should give you the perspective that you need to make thre right choice, for you.

CambieMD

Willamette said:
I heard that opthos are the most likely physicians to be assaulted by their patients. I guess when you do screw up...

Willamette

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Willamette said:

Yeah, but so long as you keep your mouth shut how are they going if they are assaulting the right person? :laugh:

-Skip