Cofused.

Started by aryadent
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

aryadent

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone 🙂
I am a European born and trained dentist.I graduated last November and since then I have been thinking about moving into Los Angeles to work as a dentist.My first choice would be a postgraduate program in UCLA but the fees are huge.I did some research on the NBDE and it left me stressed and disappointed.Are the odds against me because I am not a native speaker?How difficult are those exams really?Maybe I should apply for a preceptorship program in UCLA (they are not as expensive as the rest of the programs)so I could gain some experience and feel more comfortable with the language first and then take the exams?I am getting anxious about moving to a country I have never been before and where I have no relatives or friends so I thought that a university program could be a stepping stone.As it is obvious I am more than confused haha
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone 🙂
I am a European born and trained dentist.I graduated last November and since then I have been thinking about moving into Los Angeles to work as a dentist.My first choice would be a postgraduate program in UCLA but the fees are huge.I did some research on the NBDE and it left me stressed and disappointed.Are the odds against me because I am not a native speaker?How difficult are those exams really?Maybe I should apply for a preceptorship program in UCLA (they are not as expensive as the rest of the programs)so I could gain some experience and feel more comfortable with the language first and then take the exams?I am getting anxious about moving to a country I have never been before and where I have no relatives or friends so I thought that a university program could be a stepping stone.As it is obvious I am more than confused haha
You have ambitions, but no means to make it a reality. Pace yourself.
Work for sometime and save money. Learn English to a an advanced level or about a 100 score on TOEFL before even thinking of applying to any program. UCLA's preceptorship is a waste of money, because it does not give you anything.
In order to practice dentistry in the USA you need a license . You can get one by attending a 2 year IDP - which is the most popular route. The cost now is close to a quarter of a million - how do you plan to pay for it? Residency might be an option , but the competition is high, no one wants to pay a huge amount of money for the IDP. It takes some time for people to get accepted and a the cost is considerable. NBDEs are difficult, especially if you didn't study in English
To summarize, you need to do a proper research before starting on this road
 
Not to scare anybody, but as Oralcare has mention, make a plan, but everything is possible. Just make a plan and follower or you will end like the guy in the article show below.
Oh by the way 250k for and IDP is for 2 years, most school are 3 years (considering the leveled class and time pass after graduation trying to find a job that sponsor you with working visa).
But, is possible and has been done before.

Mike Meru Has $1 Million in Student Loans. How Did That Happen?