Cold feet anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYCillini

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As excited as I am to be accepted into pharmacy school, I'm also not without my fears. I know that a great portion of pharmacy students major in Chemistry or Biochemistry. Me, on the otherhand, I graduated with a degree in Food Science and Human Nutrition/Dietetics in 2003 (I have worked as a clinical dietitian since then). Although I do have a chem minor and have taken 3 courses in Biochem, am I going to get my butt kicked by all the chemistry involved in pharmacy school (Keeping in mind that I had almost all my chem pre-reqs completed 4yrs ago)? :scared:

Are there a lot pharm students from chem/Biochem backgrounds that you know who struggle with the coursework? I wonder if should I review all my old organic chem books....

I also wonder if should have re-considered med school....I could see myself do either field as they are both really interesting and challenging.

Members don't see this ad.

NYCillini said:
As excited as I am to be accepted into pharmacy school, I'm also not without my fears. I know that a great portion of pharmacy students major in Chemistry or Biochemistry. Me, on the otherhand, I graduated with a degree in Food Science and Human Nutrition/Dietetics in 2003 (I have worked as a clinical dietitian since then). Although I do have a chem minor and have taken 3 courses in Biochem, am I going to get my butt kicked by all the chemistry involved in pharmacy school (Keeping in mind that I had almost all my chem pre-reqs completed 4yrs ago)? :scared:

Hi, my name is Jennifer Wilbanks, and I have cold feet. OOOOHHHH Im gonna run away. Look for me in New Mexico. :laugh:

logically speaking, if you needed a degree in biochem to handle pharmacy school it would be required.

I wouldn't worry

Members don't see this ad :)
My greatest fear is funding my education. My second greatest fear is not being prepared for the classes. I hear Biochemistry is tough, but that if you can make it through Organic, you can make it through Biochemistry. Mercer has block scheduling, so I'll only have to deal with Biochemistry for a total of eight weeks... that makes it seem a little more bearable.

NYCillini said:

Are there a lot pharm students from chem/Biochem backgrounds that you know who struggle with the coursework? I wonder if should I review all my old organic chem books....

I also wonder if should have re-considered med school....I could see myself do either field as they are both really interesting and challenging.

you got nothing to worry about, i just finished dp 1 and i think all the chem stuff is only good if you are going to do research on drugs.

going to med school is a greater challenge and it will take a longer time to become established as a physician. If you have the patience then go to med school, but being a pharmacist you can start earning and living earlier... also got to think of what you enjoy, learning about drugs is cool :thumbup: :)

my greatest fear is that I will suck as a phamacist when im done that motivates me to study, study, study. I look at the ones I work with and pray that I dont become like him/her. I drive myself crazy just thinking about it. so :scared:

yatzek said:
If you have the patience then go to med school, but being a pharmacist you can start earning and living earlier...

Not really... It depends on when you enter. That's pretty much for people in these 6 yr programs. I, for one, feel a little older. I graduated from College already and I'm 22yrs and going to be entering Pharmacy School for 4 yrs in the fall. I'll be 26yrs before I even start working. And you'd have to be a blooming idiot to go straight in for more schooling thereafter versus working at least or a few years making money as a pharmacist. So, that pretty much would place me at 30yrs old, at least, if I were to apply to medical school, grad school or whatever... Now, how many 30 yr olds do they accept into med school or grad school? Not too many, eh? So yeh, I feel a little old in that respect. It does seem, however, that the pharmacy degree is very versatile in allowing one to do those kinds of things if he or she has the inclination, but it's still as an exception to the rule...

GaPharmGirl09 said:
My greatest fear is funding my education. My second greatest fear is not being prepared for the classes. I hear Biochemistry is tough, but that if you can make it through Organic, you can make it through Biochemistry. Mercer has block scheduling, so I'll only have to deal with Biochemistry for a total of eight weeks... that makes it seem a little more bearable.

I've already had my biochem course (woo yay) and it was hard but it wasn't that hard as long as you study. Course, I had a nice teacher and that helped.

microbe hunter said:
I, for one, feel a little older. I graduated from College already and I'm 22yrs and going to be entering Pharmacy School for 4 yrs in the fall. I'll be 26yrs before I even start working. And you'd have to be a blooming idiot to go straight in for more schooling thereafter versus working at least or a few years making money as a pharmacist. So, that pretty much would place me at 30yrs old, at least, if I were to apply to medical school, grad school or whatever..

Yeah, I know. I am already 26yrs old--will be 27 as I start Pharm school this fall. I've worked for 4yrs and am happy to continue working as a chemist but I know that being a pharmacist will only help my career and help me realize my career goals. But then personal goals (possibly starting a family, etc) will be put on hold for another 4yrs? So which goal is more important? Too many decisions and still waffling back and forth.

It's funny how we all mention ages when it comes to career choices. I will be 28 when I finish pharmacy school (granted if I do not go for MBA, residency, etc). If I were to retire at 65, that's ~37 yrs of work....so if you ask me that is a huge investment of your life and why it is so important that you love what you do.

I love working in healthcare. I know this because I have worked for the past two yrs in the hospital setting.

Paying for pharmacy school is a whole another fear that I haven't thought enough about.... :(
I hope I can get some good loans.

Ahhh, I've got you all trumped :) I'll be 33 when I finish pharmacy school and I got my bachelor's degree - eight years ago - in Journalism. But I'm started on the pharmacy career track because I love it and it interests me. And *that's* why I'll be successful.

CSzGirl said:
Ahhh, I've got you all trumped :) I'll be 33 when I finish pharmacy school and I got my bachelor's degree - eight years ago - in Journalism. But I'm started on the pharmacy career track because I love it and it interests me. And *that's* why I'll be successful.

Good post. Very true. You have to like what you're doing in the present, or at least be on a track to doing what you like. I am only now starting to realise that there's just not enough time to do everything in life but that certain things like family and having a good career are important. Pharmacy, from a pragmatic point of view, would support such a lifestyle. I was reading a post the other day, where a pharmacist wrote that he was vacationing out west with his family and decided to extend the vacation by working as a pharmacist out there. There aren't too many careers out there that are as flexible to allow one to do that. I found that pretty awesome... I would not be able to do that had I chosen to go to medical school- no chance. I look forward to starting Pharmacy.

FutureOrthoDoc said:
Hi, my name is Jennifer Wilbanks, and I have cold feet. OOOOHHHH Im gonna run away. Look for me in New Mexico. :laugh:

ZING! :laugh:

microbe hunter said:
Not really... It depends on when you enter. That's pretty much for people in these 6 yr programs. I, for one, feel a little older. I graduated from College already and I'm 22yrs and going to be entering Pharmacy School for 4 yrs in the fall. I'll be 26yrs before I even start working. And you'd have to be a blooming idiot to go straight in for more schooling thereafter versus working at least or a few years making money as a pharmacist. So, that pretty much would place me at 30yrs old, at least, if I were to apply to medical school, grad school or whatever... Now, how many 30 yr olds do they accept into med school or grad school? Not too many, eh? So yeh, I feel a little old in that respect. It does seem, however, that the pharmacy degree is very versatile in allowing one to do those kinds of things if he or she has the inclination, but it's still as an exception to the rule...

im 26 (in a month) im going to finish my pharmD and thinking of going straight to grad school, after that maybe i will keep on studying... why go to work, work sux
"now how many 30 yr olds do they accept to med school, gradschool..." are you serious? med school maybe has the majority of 22 year olds, but most people in grad school are late 20's and then there is MD/Phd's... 30 is young

yatzek said:
im 26 (in a month) im going to finish my pharmD and thinking of going straight to grad school, after that maybe i will keep on studying... why go to work, work sux

Going for all these degrees without looking to do any work, is pretty off-the-beam if you ask me... But good luck with that.

matters what is important to you, money or knowledge

NYCillini said:
Me, on the otherhand, I graduated with a degree in Food Science and Human Nutrition/Dietetics in 2003 (I have worked as a clinical dietitian since then). Although I do have a chem minor and have taken 3 courses in Biochem, am I going to get my butt kicked by all the chemistry involved in pharmacy school (Keeping in mind that I had almost all my chem pre-reqs completed 4yrs ago)? :scared:

I been through three quarters of pharmacy school and have seen almost no chemical structures except for amino acids. I would say you have more than a leg up on your fellow classmates. A nutrition degree will come in handy. :thumbup: A chem minor... And your worried? There will be classmates who only have two years of college, there will be classmates that have a degree in a field that has nothing to do with science, there will be classmates that have no idea what biochemistry is :confused: , so take a deep breath, you will be more than fine. :)

CSzGirl said:

check out the 25 and older thread on here- it has not been posted on for a while- we should start it up again, btw i am 26 almost 27, starting pharm school this fall.

I am 28, starting pharmacy school in August, and haven't had a chemistry course in 8 years!