Collaboration vs. Competition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MarissaM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like medical schools have different reputations regarding how "cut-throat" it is. Does this have a lot to do with how competitive it is to get in and what the grading system is like?

Should this be a factor I consider when choosing a medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like medical schools have different reputations regarding how "cut-throat" it is. Does this have a lot to do with how competitive it is to get in and what the grading system is like?

Should this be a factor I consider when choosing a medical school?

There are some solid threads on this topic. I'd suggest searching.

Based on my limited smp experience and from talking with my friends who go elsewhere....

Basically there is a an even mix wherever you go. I doubt you'll ever find a place where everyone is concerned about one another and wants to conquer med school together. There are plenty of people who just want to "get through," and there are plenty who are headhunting (or gunning) and just want to honor. You'll meet a mix of people. Don't be surprised when no one posts there study guides on the classes wikispace or whatever they use to share info.

Collaboration is kind of a sick joke, and mainly only arises within cliques that develop in the class.... At least I've found and determined from conversations with friends at other state schools.

If you're very competitive, I'd suggest going to a honor/hp/pass system school. I love this grading system because it rewards people who work hard/do better.

If you're just skating by I'd favor the p/f system.

It should play a very small factor. Each school harps on their "brotherhood" within the class and the idea of getting through together, but the reality is that there are plenty of A-holes (like myself) who care less about how others perform.

Last edited:
I doubt you'll ever find a place where everyone is concerned about one another and wants to conquer med school together.

If you're very competitive, I'd suggest going to a honor/hp/pass system school. I love this grading system because it rewards people who work hard/do better.

Even if there are a bunch of people in my class that just care about themselves, as a class, we are concerned about everyone's well being and how they do.

But we're pretty unique even at our school. Our class' personality is friendly and nice. The class above us thinks we're way too close, and while we expected the class below us to be more like us (due to a curriculum change), they turned out to be super studious... way more than us. We're also the 'smartest' class to come through our school, with the highest average GPA and MCAT score. The class below us didn't beat us out.

That said, I disagree that the H/HP/P/F system rewards those who work harder... sometimes, it's just about the details you choose to focus on. If you want to do well, then go for it... you'll be in the running for AOA and whatnot (since you have to be in the top 25% to be eligible for that). But don't do it under the illusion that you're getting rewarded with a higher grade for doing better, because pre-clinical grades don't matter. Residency directors are going to look first and foremost at your evaluations from third year. That's why so many schools have transitioned to P/F for the first two years.