College Applications

selenaharvard24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I know there are many similar threads but I have quite a unique situation
and question. Firstly, I am in a US accredited American curriculum high school
outside the US. So, I would like to know when is best to start working on college applications. I am going to be a junior next fall and I haven't done any SATs, so should I start working on college applications in Grade 11 or should I wait till Grade 12?

Thanks in Advance.:)

Members don't see this ad.

For US colleges, one usually applies in the summer between junior (grade 11) and senior (grade 12) year. Take your tests (ACTs/SATs) during your junior year -- be sure to set a schedule where you can re-take them if you don't end up doing well the first time.

Come back in a few months, like at the end of grade 11 and ask for further advice. You have some time to go.

Don't worry about your college application right now. I'm starting senior year in August, and it's even too early for me.

Right now, if I were you, I would set up a schedule for junior year (SAT/ACT), begin to look at some colleges, and work on my extracurriculars/volunteer activities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right now you should build up your EC's and do things that make you stand out and take the admissions test. If you don't do well don't worry because you'll have time to retake it.

Hey i go to an american school outside the US too :)

If you know you're going to do med and you're planning to apply for early decision or early action, start early - so the summer between Grade 11 and 12. The Common Application form for the new year entry is usually online by the end of June.
You really don't want to leave your college apps till the Grade 12 school year because you'll have to worry about a lot of other things.

I did my SATs in January and June of my junior year. If you really don't do well, take it again in the October of your senior year.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone:) Your advice was really helpful.
For now, I'll just relax and wait till the summer of my junior year.

By the way, jessjchan, what is the "admissions test" you mentioned?

I think you meant torshi for the "admission test". It's probably the prereq tests that most colleges have, such as the SAT and SAT II or the ACT.

I guess they are asking of that same thing you talked about!
signature_icon.jpg