college athletics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KSDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was a 4 year 3 sport varsity athlete competing at the NCAA division I level. I'm just curious to know how this can help my application. My GPA is mediocre at 3.15, but I have a strong DAT and many hours of shadowing. Will my athletic committments help paint a better picture of my GPA to dental schools?

Members don't see this ad.

KSDDS said:
I was a 4 year 3 sport varsity athlete competing at the NCAA division I level. I'm just curious to know how this can help my application. My GPA is mediocre at 3.15, but I have a strong DAT and many hours of shadowing. Will my athletic committments help paint a better picture of my GPA to dental schools?

Yes! I was asked about my being on my college soccer team (Div III I think), twice, and both times it impressed them. You are even more accomplished!

paolorossifan said:
Yes! I was asked about my being on my college soccer team (Div III I think), twice, and both times it impressed them. You are even more accomplished!

Yes! Every interview I had I was asked about how playing college basketball. In my personal statement I talked about how it was difficult balancing basketball with school and my persuit of dentistry. It seemed to go over well. Schools like a well rounded individual.

Members don't see this ad :)
KSDDS said:

I was on the varsity track team (Div II) and they were very impressed the fact that I was able to balance academics, athletics, and volunteering. Make sure you are discuss it in your personal statement. Good luck!

ya agreed, i was on the men's tennis team at my school and like everyone said, they really seemed to like it, also if your sport involved some eye hand coordination that seemed to be even better. also if you stood out on your team it seemed like that would also be a plus. so you're money :)

what sports you play? track, cross country and something else?

juggamynugga said:
what sports you play? track, cross country and something else?

Yep - cross country, indoor track, and outdoor track. Yes, its a bit of a stretch calling it three sports, but I did compete all year round and there are three seperate NCAA championships. I was captain of all three teams and did compete at the NCAA championships a few times. I've already included this in my personal statement, so sounds like I'm on the right track. I knew it would be a positive on my application, I'm just hoping this in combination with the other apsects of my resume will help to overcome my GPA. Thanks!

ya, plus i've seen people with worse GPA's too, so youre fine i bet