College Classes in High School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparklingwater

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wondered how adcoms factor in college classes taken during high school toward medical school applications. After reading a few threads on it, it seems like they factor it in, but I'm not sure exactly how.

During high school, I took five college classes and got a 4.0 (this was at my local state university).

Say you got a 3.7 in undergrad and a 4.0 in your college classes taken in high school. Is the GPA they note a 3.75 (or whatever it ends up weighted to)? Or do they view them separately? If anyone has any experience with this, that'd be great!

On a separate note, my school weights lab as 1/2 a credit. When AMCAS calculates that GPA, my lab classes are weighted 1/2 as much as a regular class toward my GPA, right?

Members don't see this ad.

Those college classes taken during high school will be weighted as much as a "normal" class. The GPA noted will combine all of your HS and college grades.

To answer your other question, AMCAS does not change the weighting of classes any. So your lab classes will count as half of a regular class. :)

I wondered how adcoms factor in college classes taken during high school toward medical school applications. After reading a few threads on it, it seems like they factor it in, but I'm not sure exactly how.

During high school, I took five college classes and got a 4.0 (this was at my local state university).

Say you got a 3.7 in undergrad and a 4.0 in your college classes taken in high school. Is the GPA they note a 3.75 (or whatever it ends up weighted to)? Or do they view them separately? If anyone has any experience with this, that'd be great!

On a separate note, my school weights lab as 1/2 a credit. When AMCAS calculates that GPA, my lab classes are weighted 1/2 as much as a regular class toward my GPA, right?
Your college classes from high school will be shown as a GPA by itself as well as lumped together with all your other college credits as your "total undergraduate" GPAs

Yes, however your college grants credits will also be how AMCAS views the credits

Members don't see this ad :)
agree with above.

I really don't think schools do a good enough job emphasize the importance of doing well on those College Courses in Highschool.

Best of luck!

What about if the institutions aren't very comparable? I took 23 hours from a big state school as a high school student and had a 4.0. As an undergrad I was at a much harder institution and and got at 3.7, but the the high school hours bumped my overall GPA to a 3.8. The bump is pretty obvious on my AMCAS (my grades go from A,A,A... to B+,A-,B+...). In fact I retook a few of the same classes at my undergrad and got lower grades. Do you think they look at this and think, "What would this person's GPA be without these obviously easier classes?"

What about if the institutions aren't very comparable? I took 23 hours from a big state school as a high school student and had a 4.0. As an undergrad I was at a much harder institution and and got at 3.7, but the the high school hours bumped my overall GPA to a 3.8. The bump is pretty obvious on my AMCAS (my grades go from A,A,A... to B+,A-,B+...). In fact I retook a few of the same classes at my undergrad and got lower grades. Do you think they look at this and think, "What would this person's GPA be without these obviously easier classes?"

I doubt it, its difficult enough to judge courses between different schools- I don't think ADCOMs will spend too much time figuring out what could have been.