College classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gutierrez001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a couple questions. I applying for medical school this year(in about two months) and i started college in a community college and took some prep classes in english(ENC0010 & ENC0021). My question is if these classes are caculated into my GPA?? Also, how does the retake class rule work?(do you still have to show that you took it more than once?.....THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

Did you recieve college credit for the classes? I didn't go to high school, so I took the equivalent of high school chem and math when I started college. They were not really college level classes, so I didn't get any credit for them. I don't think that those were calculated in my GPA.

You have to put everything into AACOMAS. There is a box that you can check for credit, retake, etc. (I forget what all the boxes are now, sorry.) Once you start putting your classes into AACOMAS, I think it will make more sense. It is pretty self-explanatory. GOOD LUCK!!!:luck: :luck: :luck:

Well i took at the community college, but i just looked at my transcript and it shows how many credits they were worth but it shows that i didnt earned credit for them(i passed all the class). So does that mean that they dont count??

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you take them as college credit while you were in high school, or took them after high school while you were enrolled at that comm. college? If you took 'em while at college I would think they'd count. I've got some old community college coursework that counted as far as GPA calculations went, and then some AP and college classes during high school that was just for credit (not towards GPA). Is there a grade there that you are worried about or something?

Regardless of whether the grade is calculated in or not you have to show every single class taken anywhere. So in that context, yes it counts in that you have to input it into AACOMAS. There are drop down boxes where you can select what TYPE of credit it was for, but you still have to "report" it.

Don't be afraid to call up AACOMAS and ask them what you need to specify a specific class as being. I've got a fairly convoluted college past (multiple community colleges, a break in schooling, AP stuff, couple retakes) so I didn't hesitate to call up AMCAS/AACOMAS with questions.

I took them during community college. I never took the SAT and took one year off after high school. So i had to take a placement test before starting classes in college, and when i took the test i did poorly in the english section. So before i could take the college level english classes i had to take these perp classes. So this is the question i have is do these classes count or not (its not that i did poor in them) Thanks.

In that case I would say you definitely need to include them.

DoctorMom you didn't go to high school?

LOL! No, I didn't go to high school. I skipped eighth grade and went straight into ninth. But, then I started getting really bratty and defiant and barely passed ninth. I got my GED a few years later. :D

As for the classes, my CC did not count those classes towards my GPA. So, I assumed that AACOMAS did not either. I did include them on AACOMAS though. I hadn't taken the SATs either and had to do the whole placement test thing. I actually took several remedial math classes to catch up. I am still horrible at math. :smuggrin: Anyway, best of luck to you!:luck:

I hadn't taken the SATs either and had to do the whole placement test thing. I actually took several remedial math classes to catch up. I am still horrible at math. :

These are the same classes that i took but in english. Do i have to include these classes???:confused:

so should include those classes in my GPA caculation?

so should include those classes in my GPA caculation?

You don't do the GPA calculation. AACOMAS does it for you. Just put them in, check the right box if there is something that is relevant, and put in the number of credits. (Mine are listed as RA,RB, RC, etc. I think that the R is for remedial or and the other is the grade.)

I went back and checked on AACOMAS for you. This is what I have for one fo the classes:

095 - ESSENTIALS OF CHEMISTRY Inorganic Chem Senior RA P 4.000

It lists P as the AACOMAS grade. I didn't put that in, so I guess that AACOMAS did. Therefore, it must not be calculated in the GPA. Because I already submitted my AACOMAS, I can't see all the little boxes to see what I may have checked. I think it will make more sense to you when you start putting your grades in. If you have any questions, just contact AACOMAS. Hope this helped. GOOD LUCK!

thank you...I'll contact then tmw.

You have to include every credit class you've ever taken at any 4yr university, college, CC, or technical school. Doesn't matter what the course was, when you took it (ie. even if it was in high school, you still have to report it), or whether or not it counted towards your degree. Everything has to be reported, even if it's a basket weaving class you took at a CC while in high school.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to include every credit class you've ever taken at any 4yr university, college, CC, or technical school. Doesn't matter what the course was, when you took it (ie. even if it was in high school, you still have to report it), or whether or not it counted towards your degree. Everything has to be reported, even if it's a basket weaving class you took at a CC while in high school.

But how do i know if there calculate into my GPA or not?

But how do i know if there calculate into my GPA or not?

If you got a grade & received credit(s) for the course taken at a CC, tech school, university, etc, then it is in your GPA calculation. (unless the course was remedial, you withdrew from it, or you only audited the class, you should have received a grade and credit for the course)
The big exception is that if you repeated the same class later to improve your grade, AACOMAS does not include the first grade for that class in your GPA calculation.

If you got a grade & received credit(s) for the course taken at a CC, tech school, university, etc, then it is in your GPA calculation. (unless the course was remedial, you withdrew from it, or you only audited the class, you should have received a grade and credit for the course)
The big exception is that if you repeated the same class later to improve your grade, AACOMAS does not include the first grade for that class in your GPA calculation.

I believe the classes were remdial(it was a classes below the college level one,for english). I did recieve a grade for it, but i did not recieve credit for it.

as I said, classes below college level (remedial) are not going to be calculated in the GPA. you still have to list them on AACOMAS, though.

Oh ok, thanks for ALLLLLLLLL your help everyone.

Sounds like you need to pick up a book about applying for med school. I think you will find it will answer all these questions -I think sdn even has one you can order.

Good luck.

Sounds like you need to pick up a book about applying for med school. I think you will find it will answer all these questions -I think sdn even has one you can order.

Good luck.
I would buy a book but i just paid $210 for the Mcat sign up yesterday and Im broke :oops: , pluse Im only applying to one school. Thanks for all the help. :D

I would buy a book but i just paid $210 for the Mcat sign up yesterday and Im broke :oops: , pluse Im only applying to one school. Thanks for all the help. :D

:eek: :eek: WHY ARE YOU ONLY APPLYING TO ONE SCHOOL?!?!?! Which school are you applying to?

well i live in gainesville and I am really tired of it , so i really want to move back home(which is S.FLA). Also the DO LOR i have teachs and graduated from NSU and is the director from the ER i worked at. Pluse s.fla is a great place to live and i wouldnt want to go to any other school. If i dont get in I'll just reapply the next cycle.:D

So NSU is my first and only choice.:hardy:

well i live in gainesville and I am really tired of it , so i really want to move back home(which is S.FLA). Also the DO LOR i have teachs and graduated from NSU and is the director from the ER i worked at. Pluse s.fla is a great place to live and i wouldnt want to go to any other school. If i dont get in I'll just reapply the next cycle.:D

So NSU is my first and only choice.:hardy:

WOW!!! Well, make sure that they know that too! GOOD LUCK!!!:luck:

I agree, make sure you are very competitive and let them know they are your first choice.

I would highly recommend at least applying a few other places, at least LECOM-Bradenton since you want to stay in Florida. Are you only applying DO?

It's just so expensive and time consuming to apply initially that you really don't want to to have to wait a year and do it again if for whatever reason it doesn't work out this year. This is my second time applying, and I guess I'm really not one to talk as I applied extremely late (life circumstances....) this year and to only 1 DO school, but FORTUNATELY it worked out.

LOL! No, I didn't go to high school. I skipped eighth grade and went straight into ninth. But, then I started getting really bratty and defiant and barely passed ninth. I got my GED a few years later. :D :

Sorry if that sounded rude or anything like that. I guess I was just surprised and I think it's great how far you've come. I had rebellious times myself in high school. My dad (Chinese by the way) would have me six feet under by now if I would have tried quitting. :laugh: The teenage years are good times, aren't they? :p

Sorry if that sounded rude or anything like that. I guess I was just surprised and I think it's great how far you've come. I had rebellious times myself in high school. My dad (Chinese by the way) would have me six feet under by now if I would have tried quitting. :laugh: The teenage years are good times, aren't they? :p

Absolutely no offense taken!:D :love: I am very proud of myself and the path that I took to get to where I am. I have no problem sharing my story with others because I think that it shows that you can come back from almost anything.:)

And yes, I had a whole lot of fun!:laugh: :rolleyes: ;)

I'll try my best...thanks;)
Applying to one school is risky since you're putting all your eggs into one basket. Because you will be vesting your money and your time into NSU, make sure that you have fulfilled all their requirements (90 semester hours, fulfilled course requirements, DO LOR, etc). Apply EARLy and make sure that your application is as strong as you can make it. Best of luck in the process and hopefully I'll see you at NSU next year. :)