College interview question

CrazyboyMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am going to be attending a college interview in October. (I am 16)

I am a CNA right now and am in an EMT-B course right now.

I know they will ask me about my extracurricular activities, and I really wanted to highlight and elaborate on me being an EMT and CNA.

How should I talk about these certifications? How do colleges perceive these type of jobs?

How can I connect my clinical experience, and my overall experience in healthcare back to the college itself?

Hope I can get some advice :D

Members don't see this ad.

They let you take an EMT-B course as a minor? Unusual.

I think any approach to discussing them would be acceptable as long as you don't come off as braggadocious. Don't say it outright; ease into it. "I like learning about the health-care field in a hands-on setting—I'm actually training to become a EMT right now. I find the field interesting and it helps me build off of what I learned as a CNA". etc etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree. Stories are easier to remember, so I like to pick something that illustrates my point, a specific experience that you can tell a story that shows dedication, maturity, whatever other values you want to get across. Colleges will definitely like this. In my college interviews, I would occasionally, as we were ending, say "there's one more thing I want to discuss, it's recent so it is not on my application, do you mind if we talk about it?" They always say yes and I give a quick run-down (under 30 seconds). It's better if it comes up naturally, though.