College or University Physics?

Started by RAMPHARMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RAMPHARMD

UHCOP Pharm.D. Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Alright ya'll, here's the skinny: I'm registering for the upcoming fall semester and I have decided to enroll in a physics course to complete the physics pre-req. One problem - The university I will be attending (TAMU-C) offers a College Physics and a University Physics. Which one should I take? When I spoke to my advisor (chem. department head) he suggested that I take university physics because if I wanted to get a BS in chem (which I'm still debating on whether I should go for chem. or bio.) they wouldn't accept the college physics credit. On the other hand, I'm fairly certain that I would only need to take college physics to obtain a BS in Biology.

Another thing - The only reason I would even attempt to get a BS is if I can't get into pharmacy school next year.

What should I take?

HELP!
 
Pick the one that is easier. At the University of Houston, University physics mainly for engineering student. lots of calculus and trigs involved and vey hard. College physics mainly for science major. much easier than university physics. just the basic math and basic trig. I am not sure about A&M. probably the same thing.
 
The safest way would be to take the university physics. At our school, the biology major accepts both types of physics. Therefore, you can postpone your decision to choose your major until later.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for your opinions, guys.

I guess my main concern is whether or not the COPs I'm applying to will accept the college physics credit or not. Should I just contact each of the schools I'm applying to (TTU, SWOSU, UT, UH, TAMU) and ask?
 
The COPs should accept both types of physics, but yes, you should call to check just in case. See if they have a course equivalency website like USC does for their site.
 
If you're planning on getting a BS first, college for bio and university for chem. But pre-pharm usually takes either. Talk to an admissions advisor at the schools you're looking at.