college student at crossroads

Started by shira_kay
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

shira_kay

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm halfway into my second year at Florida State University, and I've run into some problems. I'm majoring in Biology with the intent to go into med school and focus on dermatology, or venture into the other doctoral field of veterinary school (which I recently decided I wouldn't want as much as regular human medicine). I have never been very strong in math, which resulted in me failing college algebra my first semester at FSU. I retook it and passed, but my advisor told me that one more unsatisfactory grade would get me released from the Biology program. Lo and behold, I got a D in Precalculus so now I'm preparing to give up my dream of going to med school. My GPA as of now is 2.78.
I personally know how difficult it is to get into medical school, so I am wondering if I should switch into Environmental Science and still take the pre-reqs for med school or if I should pursue my backup plan which would be a focus in marine biology or environmental sciences. I know how much work and dedication is required for the field of medicine, but I question whether I can handle it. I've never been the "star student", and I worry that my GPA will be too low to even bother considering to apply. However, I am very fascinated by medicine and I have a genuine passion for helping people, but I fall short of the requirements.

Thanks for your replies and advice!
 
You can major in anything and take pre-reqs for either human or vet med - doesn't have to be biology.

As for your grades - you're not in a good position right now with a 2.78 but there is still time to rectify those grades. If you struggle with math, you need to find ways to be a successful student despite your past problems. Consider tutoring, office hours, supplementing lectures with videos/tutorials online, etc. Evaluate how you study - do you do the problems or just read the chapter/attend lecture? Additionally, you should probably find new study methods for the other classes that are giving you trouble; many large universities have student centers that will help you with time management, study skills, etc. Seek the help now and plan to get straight As from here on out. You can still make it, but it's an uphill battle.

What kind of experience do you have with the field of medicine? If you've done shadowing, clinical hours, volunteering, etc required for your application, you should have an idea of if this is what you want to do. If you'd be happy doing other things, they would definitely be a lot less time intensive than human or even vet med. Start defining your back up plans a little better and consider the change.
 
I'm halfway into my second year at Florida State University, and I've run into some problems. I'm majoring in Biology with the intent to go into med school and focus on dermatology, or venture into the other doctoral field of veterinary school (which I recently decided I wouldn't want as much as regular human medicine). I have never been very strong in math, which resulted in me failing college algebra my first semester at FSU. I retook it and passed, but my advisor told me that one more unsatisfactory grade would get me released from the Biology program. Lo and behold, I got a D in Precalculus so now I'm preparing to give up my dream of going to med school. My GPA as of now is 2.78.
I personally know how difficult it is to get into medical school, so I am wondering if I should switch into Environmental Science and still take the pre-reqs for med school or if I should pursue my backup plan which would be a focus in marine biology or environmental sciences. I know how much work and dedication is required for the field of medicine, but I question whether I can handle it. I've never been the "star student", and I worry that my GPA will be too low to even bother considering to apply. However, I am very fascinated by medicine and I have a genuine passion for helping people, but I fall short of the requirements.

Thanks for your replies and advice!


Do not go into veterinary medicine unless you love the field and absolutely 100% can't see yourself doing anything else. Seriously, don't. $150,000 in debt for a starting salary of $50-60,000 a year and a crap job market.

Have you considered PA? Nursing?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You can major in anything and take pre-reqs for either human or vet med - doesn't have to be biology.

As for your grades - you're not in a good position right now with a 2.78 but there is still time to rectify those grades. If you struggle with math, you need to find ways to be a successful student despite your past problems. Consider tutoring, office hours, supplementing lectures with videos/tutorials online, etc. Evaluate how you study - do you do the problems or just read the chapter/attend lecture? Additionally, you should probably find new study methods for the other classes that are giving you trouble; many large universities have student centers that will help you with time management, study skills, etc. Seek the help now and plan to get straight As from here on out. You can still make it, but it's an uphill battle.

What kind of experience do you have with the field of medicine? If you've done shadowing, clinical hours, volunteering, etc required for your application, you should have an idea of if this is what you want to do. If you'd be happy doing other things, they would definitely be a lot less time intensive than human or even vet med. Start defining your back up plans a little better and consider the change.

I've had an internship with a veterinary hospital in high school, but I don't have any relevant college experience as of yet. This summer I plan on getting some type of research or working in a hospital setting while taking a few classes.
 
Do not go into veterinary medicine unless you love the field and absolutely 100% can't see yourself doing anything else. Seriously, don't. $150,000 in debt for a starting salary of $50-60,000 a year and a crap job market.

Have you considered PA? Nursing?

I've actually thought about a nursing program that lets one travel, if there is such a thing.
 
I've had an internship with a veterinary hospital in high school, but I don't have any relevant college experience as of yet. This summer I plan on getting some type of research or working in a hospital setting while taking a few classes.

In that case, I'd continue to make changes for better grades, but reserve your decision to either pursue or drop medicine after experiencing it a bit. You may find that you don't particularly like it, or that you like it so much that it fuels your academic turn around.
 
also consider podiatry. It can be a bit easier to get into historically due to the smaller applicant pool and you still get to work with patients in the hospital at an independent role level. I suppose some pre-meds to some extent are not even aware of it. More info/stats can be found here: http://www.aacpm.org/html/careerzone/pdfs/2015 CIB.pdf Secondly, there is nothing wrong with environmental science. Undergrad backup majors often end up being something people have found they love. So if you think you want to switch, do it. You will do better in something you like and can for sure fit in the pre-reqs. Keep in mind if you decide to do Marine Bio etc as a career path instead, the job market is very competitive and most places expect you to have a masters. Finally, upward trends rule and that is why my signature is what it is. You still have half your gpa to go and can always take a gap year if you need to get the extra edge in on your gpa before you apply.

P.S. the forum you are posting in is for High School students. Check out the Pre-Med/Pre-Podiatry etc for more advice as well.