College/University questions

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Autumnday00

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
I am a Canadian high school student in my junior year of school. I am interested in pursuing a career in medicine as a doctor. My grades weren't the best for the first two years of hs so I'm making it up now.

I'm wondering when next year as I apply for college, how many years does one usually take for their under-grad before going onto university?

Is it possible to apply for medical school with a college degree only?
 
I'm not entirely sure how the Canadian education system works, but I'm going to assume that it's not vastly different from the United States. This is the simplified, traditional version of becoming a doctor in the US:

1) 4 years of high school
2) 4 years of undergraduate school (AKA college/university)
3) 4 years of medical school
4) X years of residency (varies by specialty)
5) X years of fellowships (if applicable)
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
I am a Canadian high school student in my junior year of school. I am interested in pursuing a career in medicine as a doctor. My grades weren't the best for the first two years of hs so I'm making it up now.

I'm wondering when next year as I apply for college, how many years does one usually take for their under-grad before going onto university?

Is it possible to apply for medical school with a college degree only?
Undergrad is four years. Then you put your eggs in a basket, and apply to medical school. Before you do that, you need to take the MCAT. If you go to a Uni in Canada, and plan to apply to a U.S. MD school, you better have some top numbers.