College

Zeroarischris

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone, I am an aspiring cardiologist and I have gotten very discouraged this past year. I recently just graduated from high school and I chose to take the community college route to obtain my generals thinking it was the best option. After my high school graduation, my father offered me to come live with him and to go to school from his home, but shortly after I arrived and got settled him and his wife decided to kick me out of their home. With nowhere to reside and new to the state he lived in I hadn't got a chance to get accustomed to the public transit and my grades and attendance really took a beating. I thought it was best to come back home and just try to start over. I am 18 and I earned no credits with the community college I was attending because I had to come back I believe my starting GPA with that school is completely shot and I am also In debt because I had help with financial aid. Is my future with medicine over or is there anything I can do to try to redeem myself? I know medical schools already look down on college students with community college credits but It was the most affordable option I had at the time and now I have to take time off to pay the debt I owe to the previous school. Can anyone give me advice on what steps I should take if I want to continue to pursue my dreams?

Members don't see this ad.

Community College is perfectly fine way to start off and still get into med school. Many people do it successfully. It is certainly more affordable than doing all 4 years at university. Just make sure you don't take ALL of you pre med pre reqs there, save a few for later.

Question for you...the classes you were taking at community college before you left, did you officially withdraw from those classes so you have no credit for them? Or did you just leave and take fails for them? That will make a difference going forward.

If you are already in debt, then it might not be a bad idea to take a year or 2 off to work and pay it off and then start over. During that year or 2, do some shadowing to make absolutely sure this is the career path you want to follow, and also start some of your clinical and nonclinical volunteering.