color blind test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snurpy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, my boyfriend has matched into his #1 path program, but he also has to go in for a color blind test. We know he's a little red-green colorblind, but didn't realize that the residency would test him. Would being colorblind prevent him from this residency even after the match?

Members don't see this ad.

Speaking from experience, I had the same scenario and have had no real problems. I "failed" the standard Ishihara screening test and they followed up with simple cards for which I had to identify the colors. I've never had any real-world problems due to my "color blindness" and this test was really, really easy. They informed my program director and we discussed that it hasn't ever been a functional problem for me. And indeed it hasn't been a problem in training (currently a PGY-4) at all. As long as he is able to distinguish colors in the real world, it shouldn't be a huge issue. Though it might be worth bringing it up to the program director ahead of time, so it isn't a last minute, stressful thing the week before starting residency.

Thank you so much! It doesn't affect him in the real world per se, but he gets a little confused when red and green hues are mixed. He jokes that he might have also learned his colors incorrectly as a child.

Still, it's a great relief to know for sure that the color blindness would not prevent him from this residency.

I have known color blind pathologists. As far as I know there are no real limitations, but I don't know for sure.