Colored Hair, Tattoos, and Piercings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

97thaik

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've periodically looked up what the opinion is for colored hair, tattoos, and piercings were for the field of optometry and often fell short on my searches because most of them are discussing the nursing field or being an MD. They were also pretty dated and seemed to be written by people of older generations.

I thought this would be an interesting topic to discuss and see what other people may have to say, specifically for the field of optometry.

Currently, my hair is kind of pink/rose gold and I work as an ophthalmic technician/ optometric technician in two different practices. One retail and one private. Both places have no problem with my hair as it's not really out there as it seems by my description lol. I've only ever received compliments from my patients too and 99% of them are over the age of 60.

What do you guys think about maintaining a professional appearance (in societal standards) when it comes to optometry school interviews, working in practices, and eventually being a practicing O.D.? For interviews, do you think it matters if you go in with colored hair and visible tattoos or do you think you should re-dye your hair to a normal color and hide tattoos and piercings? Do you think appearance is something admissions committees consider and I don't mean coming to an interview in sweats, but coming professionally dressed but with bright red hair or a visible arm tattoo or multiple ear piercings/nose piercings?

If anyone here has colored hair, tattoos, piercings, etc. I would love to hear your take on this! Just generally curious what prospective students and future O.D. students think, especially with societal standards shifting.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
if you have to ask, or if it's controversial, then I would stay away from it in my opinion

Reactions: 2 users
Hmm I'm actually curious about this as well! In my opinion (I'm just a student currently applying), I don't think I'd be offset by well-coloured, well-maintained hair. As long as it's not box dye and patchy, and it's styled professionally I don't think I'd think twice about an optometrist with an unnatural hair colour. Piercings though, I think there may be something to be said especially among older generations, and it's not a big deal to take them out for interviews or work. Tattoos as well-- too controversial and I'd hide it for an interview or a job if I wasn't sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a more recent graduate from a well-established optometry program here in the US, I would say that "unnatural" colored hair is an absolute no-go in the professional world. Our clinic policy was no showing tattoos in clinic, so you could have a full sleeve or a leg tattoo, but you had to wear pants, long socks, long sleeves to cover it. Once you're in private practice, you can set your own rules.

For interviews, I would caution same. Rose gold hair, jet black hair, etc are fine. I would not expect a call back from a reputable institution if you deviate from "clinic-appropriate" attire.

I hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with Alco_Paco and DoctorOD on this. I currently attend SCO and their clinic attire handbook explicitly states no visible tattoos, excessive piercings, or flashy unnaturally colored hair. One of the directors of professional development stated this is all in place because patient wise you don't know who could be more sensitive to appearance wise things like that.

For the purpose of professional school where you want to make a good first impression (especially to gain admission), I would advise you to err on the side of caution. This is coming from the students and alumni who know the inside regulations and expectations from some of the potential schools you may be applying to.