colour blind vs ophto

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elwin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, i'm a postgraduate student in emergency medicine, planning to switch my field.
I have colour vision prob : green-red colour blindness, but i'm interested in ophthalmology career,even when i was medical student.. i'm wondering whether i can become an ophthalmologist and handle my daily job if i able to get the programme.

is there anyone can provide me some opinion?? i'm very doubtful:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Color blindness could be a problem, but more important is of course stereopsis. As long as you have stereo vision and the ability to fuse, you should be able to compensate for the lack of color vision.

May I also suggest you use better grammar when writing your personal statement?

I am am an almost 2nd year who misses a few color plates and can pick out both the default and actual number on others (deficient, not blind). The only effect on me so far is I have had a little difficulty picking out rubeosis on brown irides....I am blaming this on my color visiion though I'm not sure. My fundus exam has not suffered at all.

One thing to consider, every program requires a full eye exam with color plate testing........

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the residents that graduated from our program last year was color blind. He was unable to see any of the Ishahara color plates at all (except the test plate) In fact every time he needed to check color vision on any patient he had to grab another resident to do it. Other than this his exam skills seemed just as good as everyone elses.

Depsite this handicap he was one of our best residents and went on to do a cornea fellowship.

Good story. Ah, cornea. Who cares about color? Either it's clear or it's cloudy. :)

One thing to consider, every program requires a full eye exam with color plate testing........[/QUOTE]

Just to clarify..."Every" program does not require a full eye exam. Some programs require a full eye exam, other's require stereo testing, other's have no eye exam requirements.

One of the residents that graduated from our program last year was color blind. He was unable to see any of the Ishahara color plates at all (except the test plate) In fact every time he needed to check color vision on any patient he had to grab another resident to do it. .

One of my residency classmates was also red-green colorblind. He just memorized the plates, so he didn't have to get someone else. He did fine.