Columbia Amgen vs. NYU SURP summer programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Agoldb7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to both. Which should I choose? Is one more prestigious than the other? NYU also offers physician shadowing on top of the research, but Columbia's research seems more interesting + my faculty mentor seems like a truly leading scientist. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Physi. shadowing + shadowing sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

May I inquire what your stats are?

Members don't see this ad :)
nyu is your only chance to get shadowing opportunities...? if guaranteed shadowing is NYU's only advantage over amgen, this should be a no-brainer.
columbia amgen is likely more prestigious and harder to get into (assuming you do not go to columbia's undergrad).. plus you get to fly out to LA for a conference for free.. sweet!!
and which columbia campus is the amgen program at (med: washington heights, ugrad: morningside heights)? if it is at the medical center, im sure it wont be hard too find shadowing...

That's what I figured, that I could do some shadowing either during amgen at a local hospital through Columbia. I do not go to columbia myself.

stats...

Sophomore
School: Top 20 University
Major: Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology
GPA: 3.976
Research:
1) Social cognitive neuroscience research on amgydala connectivity in primates/humans, using fMRI and DTI
2) Cell biology/neurology - Fragile X Syndrome - PI3K/mTOR phosphorylation cascade analysis of expression in knockout mice, as well as local translation at synapses, via hippocampal lysates. using a bunch of cell bio techniques. peering into little mice brains...yum!

probably pursuing an md/phd. I love research, and it's implications for translational medicine and clinical care. basic science + personal care = awesome

nice stats...and congrats! i wonder if 'top 20' means top '11-20'.. and if that's the case, i know of only one school in that range that offers your specific major. hmmm.

What's up with that "B" that is dragging down your gpa??

im sure it's an A-

nice stats...and congrats! i wonder if 'top 20' means top '11-20'.. and if that's the case, i know of only one school in that range that offers your specific major. hmmm.

It's Emory. I guarantee it :p

lol that would be my guess...

lol that would be my guess...

Heh, I wasn't guessing. I also happen to work on FXS, on local translation at synapses, at a top 20 school. :p

Congrats to the OP on his impressive list of summer options.

I'll see you in lab ponger...thursday...

lol, you guys are pretty funny. Yes, that is the fault of posting your stats :( -- people then know who you are.

Stats are one thing, but honestly the first thing that caught my attention was the description of his research. It's way too specific and similar to what I do to be the work of somebody random.

i applied to both too! but i think i got rejected to both, my stats are no where near yours hahah. i got my sloan kettering rejection today in email =(