Columbia: attach personal statement or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

synite

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm having trouble deciding whether to attach my AMCAS personal statement to the Columbia application. that unlimited "additional information" upload is inviting....too inviting.

i wonder if Columbia would appreciate the extra essay or if it would annoy them isntead. i figure they'd explicitly ask for a longer, more in-depth essay if they really wanted one. on the other hand, not attaching it is like throwing away a potential opportunity to bolster your app. it IS a completely open-ended and unlimited section of the application.

what are you all doing? very confused over here... :confused: :confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

If you think that your personal statement would rehash any other parts of you application excessively, then I would think twice about it.

But if you feel that it adds another dimension to the application that gives the committee a better sense of who you are and why you want this, then I think it can only help. As long as it's not redundant, I don't think that it will be looked upon as annoying.

Do it.
I put my practice vision in the one essay (with slight tweaking)
And then I added my personal statement on the additional stuff.
:)
Good luck!

Scooby's right. I did the same thing. There's a thread somewhere a while back about people who did it last year. Some attached more info on their post secondary exp's (the space they allow is ridiculously small!) One even attached a note saying the extra essay was their AMCAS statement -- and got in. Put it in.