SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Columbia: attach personal statement or not?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by synite, Aug 15, 2001.

1. synite

synite Senior Member 10+ Year Member

May 20, 2001
    i'm having trouble deciding whether to attach my AMCAS personal statement to the Columbia application. that unlimited "additional information" upload is inviting....too inviting.

i wonder if Columbia would appreciate the extra essay or if it would annoy them isntead. i figure they'd explicitly ask for a longer, more in-depth essay if they really wanted one. on the other hand, not attaching it is like throwing away a potential opportunity to bolster your app. it IS a completely open-ended and unlimited section of the application.

what are you all doing? very confused over here... :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. polarbear

polarbear Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 11, 2001
    Cambridge, MA USA
    If you think that your personal statement would rehash any other parts of you application excessively, then I would think twice about it.

But if you feel that it adds another dimension to the application that gives the committee a better sense of who you are and why you want this, then I think it can only help. As long as it's not redundant, I don't think that it will be looked upon as annoying.

4. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats 10+ Year Member

Jul 9, 2001
    City
    Do it.
    I put my practice vision in the one essay (with slight tweaking)
    And then I added my personal statement on the additional stuff.
    :)
    Good luck!

5. SMW

SMW Grand Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 12, 2001
    anchorage, ak
    Scooby's right. I did the same thing. There's a thread somewhere a while back about people who did it last year. Some attached more info on their post secondary exp's (the space they allow is ridiculously small!) One even attached a note saying the extra essay was their AMCAS statement -- and got in. Put it in.